Iris 550 benches?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by tamag901, Nov 4, 2015.

1. tamag901 macrumors newbie

tamag901

Hi,

I've been looking around for benchmarks on the Iris 550 chip that supposed to be in the 2016 MM, but even though CPUs with the 550 have launched, I haven't been able to find any.

Does anyone here have a clue on its performance?

2. Celerondon, Nov 7, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2015

Celerondon macrumors 6502a

Celerondon

Wow tamag901! Are you from the future? :eek:

The information in this chart may explain why the benchmark data is hard to find. According to Wikipedia, this particular chipset has not been released yet. As far as I can tell, each Iris 550 offering has a TBD (to be determined) listed in the Release Date column.

Skylake Chart.png

This chart is interesting. Quad Core Mac mini fans may want to focus their hopes on the HD 530 since that GPU is often paired with the QC CPU. I wonder if that is a heat thing? In this table, there are no Iris GPUs paired with QC CPUs.

Another interesting fact is that the only QC + Hyper-threading CPUs are clustered at the top of the chart and very rare.

These 2012 QC Hyper-Threading minis look more special every day! :cool:

3. Crosscreek macrumors 68030

Crosscreek

Looking at the chart makes me feel more sadly confident that we will not see 2016 quad core Minis due to the 45W TDP since these will be reserved for 21" iMacs.

Apple will not create a Mini that directly compete with their flagship desktop except in the case of the base Mini and base iMac.

I think as you do that the HD 530 will be the IGPU of the next Mini.

Unfortunately the days of a quad core Mini are past. Whether Apple offers a 28W Iris Pro 550 dual core maybe an option that would provide a nice alternative for added video capabilities.

4. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

Something doesn't add up. The next Mac mini can't have the HD 530 because it is not as powerful as the current base HD 5000 (24 vs. 40 execution units). My guess would be for the Iris Pro 550, even if it's dual-core only.

Apple seems to prefer better integrated graphics over better CPUs.

5. tamag901 thread starter macrumors newbie

tamag901

My time machine broke and I'm stuck here without a 2016 MM...

Jokes aside, I went to this page: http://www.macrumors.com/2015/09/02/intel-skylake-notebooks-desktops/
    They explained that since the MM shares parts with the 13" MBP, I assumed that they would be sharing the Core i5 6287U the 13" might get.

On the Intel Ark website, they've also stated that this model CPU has been launched, but I have yet to see any in the wild.