Iris Pro + 750m Hybrid SLI

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by UBS28, Oct 28, 2013.

1. UBS28 macrumors 6502a

Since the Iris Pro has alot of GPU power, can Apple develop drivers to combine the power of the Iris Pro and 750m together for a huge GPU power boost? Or will it get too hot when both the Iris Pro and 750m are stressed at maximum for the rMBP?

2. Mathias Denichi macrumors 6502

Mathias Denichi

I think the main problem with this would be the memory compatability being that the iris pro uses eDRAM and 750m uses GDDR5 Ram. But I'm not certain that it is not possible, interesting idea.

3. SCOLANATOR macrumors 6502a

SCOLANATOR

Nope, no chance. Nice idea but it will never happen and would be very difficult to do.

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

I doubt the hardware is even setup to use both at the same time.

5. iKrivetko, Oct 28, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2013

iKrivetko macrumors 6502a

Even setting up two exactly same graphic cards to work properly isn't a simple task, let alone two utterly different ones.

6. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Technically you need only one gpu to push the display signal out. The problem is really that Intel and Nvidia with their different architectures would be able to make this work if they really really tried and they have absolutely not incentive to try. Apple has absolutely no chance of getting this to work. The only option is to keep both active and use one solely as a co processor. That wouldn't have much to do with SLI though as it would be two independent processors working on independent tasks. For scientific stuff (folding at home) or general purpose processing it could do something but I think the power consumption and heat would not make it very viable.