Iris Pro Graphics compatibility with Revit and 3ds max

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Cbbyosoy, Dec 22, 2014.

1. Cbbyosoy macrumors newbie

Hello. I'm thinking about buying a 15 inch mid 2014 Macbook Pro, and my doubt is which one I should get. I would be using 3D, CAD, and BIM software with it, so I'm just curious if the Iris Pro Graphics is enough or I should go for the more expensive version that with the NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M. Also would you recommend installing Windows with Parallels or Boot Camp for using 3ds Max and Revit?

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

You should go for the variant with the GT 750M, because you also get a larger SSD as well.

The 750M helps in rendering as well. Since 3DS Max uses CUDA, you'll greatly benefit with having the NVIDIA card around.

And you should use Boot Camp in order to use full resources.

3. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

If I had the funds, I'd go for the 750M model. Although you would probably prefer getting the cheaper model, if it is enough, otherwise you probably wouldn't have made this thread.

With that said, I'm a civil engineering major and I use AutoCAD 2015 for Mac as well as on boot camp with no slow downs on my Iris Pro. Lots of architecture majors I know use a 2012 13 Macbook Pro, which has only an HD 4000 for Rivet. 3DS I've never used, so I don't know.

I guess it just depends on preferred budget and the type of projects you will be working on. Certainly if this how you make a living, then it is worth to go for the higher end Model.

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

I'd advise against using Parallels if you are even a monicker serious about using CAD and BIM software. You want all the computer's ressources when using such software. Virtualization just won't allow that.

Bootcamp all the way.

5. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Yep, virtualizing a really complex and taxing program is going to make performance terrible.