Iris Pro graphics

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by anandadavananda, Nov 2, 2014.

1. anandadavananda macrumors newbie

anandadavananda

Good Day Everybody.

I am Planning to buy rMPB 15' mid 2014 model without dedicated GPU and I wonder: Will Iris pro graphics be sufficient to handle retina resolution. I mean will there be any glitches and freezes during scrolling, transitions, navigation, desktop and/or app switching etc. I am not interested in games and GPU intensive tasks like video editing. As I've heard 5100 graphics in 13' models suffers from performance issues and cannot handle resolution flawlessly, without glitches. Is this the case with 5200 too? Despite the fact that it has about doubled theoretical performance.

Also, can somebody recall whether integrated GPU was not sufficient for basic tasks and macbook switched to Dedicated GPU (basic tasks including: several desktops with Xcode, safari, music/video playback and parallels running)

Thanks.

2. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

If Iris Pro doesn't cut it, the 750M would not either. They are almost equal in performance. Nvidia has better drivers and gets more performance in games but in some more work related things Iris Pro is some cases even faster than the 750M. Except for games the difference between Iris Pro and 750M is nothing to write home about. HD 5100 on the other hand is quite a lot slower but still enough for retina displays.

The pixel number is actually not difficult for any GPU even the HD 5100. It is insufficient CPU performance in software that doesn't take enough advantage of GPU acceleration.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The Iris Pro can definitely drive the rMBP's display. Its a great iGPU, my next MBP will be iGPU only so I have full confidence in the current integrated GPUs

4. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

I have the 13 inch Mid 2014 MacBook Pro retina, and have absolutely none of the issues your speak of OP. None. And its the Iris onboard graphics, not the ires pro version that's on the 15 inch model as well...

5. anandadavananda thread starter macrumors newbie

anandadavananda

Thank you all for your response. I am quite confident now.

6. iKrivetko, Nov 2, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2014

iKrivetko macrumors 6502a

I have the ME293, and I can say that the Iris Pro is a surprisingly capable little bastard. I've had Dota 2 running along with 2 instances of TeamViewer in the background, and it was showing no signs of slowing down whatsoever.

You might face issues with some games, I particularly couldn't run the Witcher (but that is because the port is poor and doesn't support Intel graphics), but otherwise it is a marvellous chip.

7. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

The Iris Pro is NOT the same performance level as the GT750M. Not by a long shot. It's becoming close, but not equal.

The Iris Pro gets better OpenCL performance because nVidia has never been known to be good at OpenCL. It's always been to Intel and AMD/ATi that far exceeds even nVidia's best cards when it comes to that.

For gaming, the GT750M is much faster, almost twice as fast in some situations as the Iris Pro.

And to drive the Retina Display, it's mostly GPU because I do notice a difference when I switch over to the 750M vs Iris Pro on my 15" rMBP. The lag from driving a 3840x2400 resolution and then downscaling to 1920x1200 and making it fit on a 2880x1800 uses a lot of GPU processing power. CPU, not as much.

8. anandadavananda thread starter macrumors newbie

anandadavananda

As I understand you mean during playing games?

9. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

No, just under finder and everything also

10. anandadavananda thread starter macrumors newbie

anandadavananda

So, you mean that at 2880x1800 resolution Iris pro not sufficient even for basic tasks?

Thanks

11. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I'm running it at 3840x2400 scaled to 1920x1200. Under "best for retina", it seems the lag goes away