Iris Pro Only, Mavericks experience...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SpitUK, Oct 26, 2013.

1. SpitUK macrumors 6502

SpitUK

Hi Guys,

I had an Ivy Bridge rMBP up until the 2013 MBA came out and then I sold it and got the Air with the intention of getting the Haswell rMBP. I have sold my Air now and ordered a new 2.3GHz, 16Gb, Iris Pro, 256Gb rMBP.

I am not a gamer and glad that Apple has given the choice to buy the rMBP without the dGPU. With the Ivy Bridge rMBP it did stutter under OSX every now and again.

Anyone with the Iris Pro only rMBP having any issues or is it nice and smooth now?

Cheers.

2. aiyaaabatt macrumors 6502

100% buttery smooth, from what I can tell so far.

The same cannot be said for the 13'' with iris 5100, there is noticeable stutter still... sad.

3. Hypathia macrumors member

How is UI performance in scaled resolutions? (Scrolling, resizing, Mission Control, etc.)

4. prism macrumors 6502a

Do you have both?

5. aiyaaabatt macrumors 6502

on highest resolution - i don't notice any lag at all, for any of those functions. but it is noticeable on the 13'' at highest resolution (mainly mission control operations and desktop switching).

6. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

sorry your wrong.

not only does the hd4000 i have work great , so does the 5100....stop spreading misinformation.

7. aiyaaabatt macrumors 6502

No, you are wrong. The 13'' works great at default resolution (which is way too big). Try changing the resolution to its highest (so, most screen real-estate), then try swiping motions such as switching desktops.

You stop spreading false information. And the hd4000 works great? LOL, you must be blind or something.

8. ekiro macrumors regular

Mavericks seems to be doing the serious improvements. I noticed in the new Mail app when you click "Show All", the column expands smoothly. Before it lagged and just felt cheap. It wasn't Apple.

The Iris Pro is nice but it performs similar to the high-end pro because it's pushing all those pixels on the retina display.

I believe this current 13-inch pro model is just a temporary unit until they can install that retina display on the Air, probably with the next gen CPUs with integrated high-graphic performance.

9. Animalk, Oct 26, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2013

Animalk macrumors 6502

From my 2 hour test in store, the Iris Pro will give you buttery smooth experience in Mavericks. It's all about the 128MB embedded cache.

10. briand05 macrumors 6502

Very smooth so far everywhere, I haven't tried the scaled resolutions yet though.

11. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

no they both work fine, i run both at 1920x1080

again....stop spreading misinformation, there is no lag.

until you own both....do not comment.

12. aiyaaabatt macrumors 6502

I'm using the 13'' haswell right now. Don't make assumptions and stop spreading misinformation.

13. smakdown61 macrumors regular

All of you are wrong. The stuttering was proven to be the CPU being maxed out. For whatever reason Apple has chosen not to offload certain UI aspects to the GPU yet. Whether its bc they are not powerful enough, or would use too much power is anyone's guess.

14. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

Oh joy.

"It lags for me."

"Nope, no lag"

"Yep, it lags for me"

I remember we were having this discussion about a year ago when the first Retina MBP came out and people were saying that the computers were lagging on the HD4000. Then some people disagreed. Then those people admitted that it became "smoother with X patch", which seems to say that it did lag.

I mean, yes, it sucks. But get over it, lag exists.

15. ElderBrE macrumors regular

ElderBrE

As said before, it was proven the lag wasn't due to the GPU but the CPU. The conversation is like asking if an electric car's engine burns fuel faster than a combustion one...

16. aiyaaabatt macrumors 6502

Ya, don't think thats true.

When I had my early 2013 15'' rMBP. There was terrible UI lag (i.e. - mission control, switching desktop, etc.) when I had HD4000 graphics enabled (via gfxcardstatus), and the lag immediately went away when I enabled the GT 650M.

What say you?

17. watchthisspace macrumors 6502a

I second this.

Iris Pro is pretty much as fast as a 650M so OP will have no worries.

Mavericks also has bought some lovely improvements.

18. ElderBrE macrumors regular

ElderBrE

TDP can probably explain that behavior.

I'll also leave you a quote from Anand's article, although you're obviously still entitled to ignore what a reviewer lie him has to say.