Iris Pro Temps future considerations?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by FumbleDuck, Mar 5, 2015.

1. FumbleDuck, Mar 5, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2015

FumbleDuck macrumors member

Hi All,

I have read many posts on here concerning the "radeongate" issue which as far as I can work out, is caused by the thermal shock from running too hot and the possibly not-so-well-made solder joints on the radeon chips themselves (and possibly some contribution from the cooling system in the rMBP).

The combination of all these things may eventually lead to the failure of the GPU (or possibly its connections to the logic board) a year or two down the line. That is my understanding anyway.

My question is about the combined integrated Iris Pro graphics on machines that only have the Iris Pro - i.e. no dGPU. In this case because the graphics processing and the general CPU processing are all carried out on the same die, the temps do tend to get high pretty quickly when carrying out any intensive graphics task. I imagine that they get higher (more quickly) than those machines with a dGPU as the heat load is spread over two chips.

So, if the Iris Pro-only rMBPs shoot up and down a steeper thermal ramp more often, is this potentially going to lead to a problem in the future? I'm not asking because I think this is something thats going to happen, I'm just curious because of all the info I've read concerning chips going through thermal shock and want to know if this is a situation that may be similar.
    Also I think because the Iris Pro is such a capable iGPU, it might be put under more load than previous iterations of an iGPU in macs as more people might just opt for the iris pro rather than a dedicated chip.

Of course there is also the slightly improved cooling system now in place which draws air in from the sides of the laptop which might help.

I have a mid-2014 Iris Pro-only 15-inch rMBP and I have to say I've had no issues whatsoever with its performance. I have tried some games on it in the four months I've owned it but I've always hit 90-100 degrees fairly quickly (the games run fine though). I have since off-loaded my gaming to Steam In-Home streaming and now I can game while barely hitting 45.

Anyway, just a thought for discussion - maybe intel chips are well-designed and manufactured to cater for this. After all I don't think I've read anything about thermal shock with the CPU (but I could be wrong).

2. ApoorvPrem macrumors regular

ApoorvPrem

Don't think so

Strictly commenting on what I know from past posts - NO. You shouldn't face a problem with the Iris Pro graphics. People with dGPu have faced issues but haven't heard anyone using an Iris Pro and facing these issues. Cheers.

3. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

The CPUs even without any GPU involvement heat up to 99C rapidly and then cool off again. They have done that for years and never have a problem. There was an issue with the 8600M related to heat cycles because of bad bumper material which got worn out by expanding and shrinking but I think the other GPUs had different problems. Generally Intel CPUs aren't known to fail and they heat up to 90+C very quickly.
    Cooling system does not matter for this because the fans still only ramp up slowly so as not to be horribly annoying. CPU temps can jump 20-30 C in the blink of an eye depending on load. The GPU really does nothing new here. Same old same old.