Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gothamm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
This thread had to be made, so figured i'd make it. Just how much of a performance boost are we talking here? my impression is that the 750m is only 10-15% better than 650m. And the 650m is SLIGHTLY better than iris pro.

So, is it even worth it to opt for the 750m?

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Why wouldn't you instead use one of the 10 other active threads discussing the same issue?

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011
650M is NOT "slightly" better than Iris Pro.

Iris Pro is about on par with 640M.

650M at stock is 30-40% faster than 640M, but since the one in the rMBP from last year was overclocked, it can be up to 50-60% faster than 640M, and that difference should apply to Iris Pro as well. In fact, the difference should be more pronounced at higher resolutions.

Anandtech's benchmark showed this.

750M would show the same difference by convention.

If Apple didn't think a dGPU would be faster than Iris Pro, they wouldn't stick one in. As it is, it's clear how Apple feels about the situation.

famalka

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2013
650M is NOT "slightly" better than Iris Pro.

Iris Pro is about on par with 640M.

650M at stock is 30-40% faster than 640M, but since the one in the rMBP from last year was overclocked, it can be up to 50-60% faster than 640M, and that difference should apply to Iris Pro as well. In fact, the difference should be more pronounced at higher resolutions.

Anandtech's benchmark showed this.

750M would show the same difference by convention.

If Apple didn't think a dGPU would be faster than Iris Pro, they wouldn't stick one in. As it is, it's clear how Apple feels about the situation.

No way. The 750M is only 10% to 15% faster than the 650M.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-750M.90245.0.html

Last edited:

King Shady

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2010
San Jose, CA
You guys are forgetting that the "650m" in all of our 2012 rMBP's are actually much faster. Most reports claim that the 650m is really a 660m+. I'm sticking with this baby for another year and then I'll probably upgrade to Broadwell + nVidia's latest gpu (which should be much faster than the 750m). The 750m is not a significant bump at all compared to the "650m" in mine (about 10% increase).

justin216

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2004
Tampa, FL
How do we know the 750M hasn't been overclocked as well? I honestly don't know - I haven't been following this at all.

Until the new rMBP is benchmarked, we'll not know. Folks are making "worst case scenario" conjectures based on the stock parts. Apple does tend to get the best binned parts they can and clock them higher, along with using models using GDDR5 memory (whereas many benchmarks out there now are lower-performing GDDR3 parts).

It'll probably only take a day or two for more accurate benchmarks to hit the net. If you're on the fence, you could wait and see how it really falls out before making your purchase decision.

Evil Merino

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2013
Until the new rMBP is benchmarked, we'll not know. Folks are making "worst case scenario" conjectures based on the stock parts. Apple does tend to get the best binned parts they can and clock them higher, along with using models using GDDR5 memory (whereas many benchmarks out there now are lower-performing GDDR3 parts).

It'll probably only take a day or two for more accurate benchmarks to hit the net. If you're on the fence, you could wait and see how it really falls out before making your purchase decision.

This is a huge point.

People have all these conjectures using benchmarks of a 650m vs. a STOCK 750m. And following the trend that apple used a higher binned/higher clocked 650m in the previous gen of rMBP, we can assume they followed suit in terms of the newly released versions.

Crossing my fingers, hoping the 750m in the rMBP is a little more powerful than just a stock 750m.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.