Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wrsorg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2013
I have seen these discussions all over the place, but I didn't find a specific topic for them. Iris Pro will be one of the biggest question marks when choosing a new rMBP, and since there are reports that the lower end rMBP (with Iris Pro) will replace the old MBP (cheaper price), plenty of people would end up having to choose from:

Entry level rMBP, probably 8Gb, 256Gb SSD, Iris Pro - 1799
Mid level rMBP, maybe bigger storage (or memory), dedicated GPU - 2199

For people who don't work with video editing, gaming, or any other specific "designer stuff" will that mean a considerable difference? I don't play games, barely run CPU or GPU consuming apps, but I always manage my photos (have a DSLR), watch NFL games through game pass, movies and etc.

The one million dolllar question is: do you think it's worth spending an extra $400 (370€ in my case) to upgrade only GPU?

zI INFINITY Iz

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2013
Depends what dGPU. If it's the 750M, I'm not so sure. If it's something like the 760M or 765M, big yeah! Apple would really blow me away with a 765M, but I know chances are small.

Like you say, other factors play a role too, like maybe bigger storage and/or bigger memory.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
In a few hours we will probably know the exact configuration and pricing. I see no reason in speculating right now, so short before the product release. In any case, the Iris Pro will be more then enough for what you want to do. As it will be for most video/photo editors and people who work with low/middle complexity 3D graphics.

wrsorg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2013
By the way, I had a late 2011 MBP that had an AMD Radeon HD 6750M, it always worked fine for me!

NickPhamUK

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2013
I don't care that much since my target is fixed: rMBP 13" (i5, 8GB RAM, 256GB). It's sad that I'll have to take Iris 5100 instead of Iris Pro 5200, but hey, no money :(.

wrsorg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2013
I don't care that much since my target is fixed: rMBP 13" (i5, 8GB RAM, 256GB). It's sad that I'll have to take Iris 5100 instead of Iris Pro 5200, but hey, no money :(.

I was willing to pay for the mid-level 15", but now I will strongly reconsider. The only thing that will make me add 370€ will be both RAM/SSD upgrades. I would love to have 16Gb (future proof) or 512Gb (more photos stored on the laptop), but I can't add that much money for such small differences in CPU/GPU (that I probably will never notice) and either Ram or SSD

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.