Iris Pro Vs Nvidia GT750 M

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ritwick, Nov 27, 2014.

1. Ritwick macrumors newbie

Hello,

As a software developer, I like to use multiple screens with my laptop. I am planning to put 3 external monitors on my new MBP, 2 of which will be 1920X1080 and 3rd one will be a high resolution 2560X1600 or even a 4k. I want to know that to provide that kind of display power, do I need Nvidia 2gb GT750M card, or will Iris pro be able to handle it? Rest of the config is MBP15" 2.3 quad core i7 and 16 gb of Ram

Regards

2. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

It'd make no sense not to invest in the graphics card. It's non-upgradable, and you're sinking a lot of money into it as it is. Even if it worked fine now, graphics cards age fast (especially on a Mac). Get the graphics card and your investment will continue to work at a satisfactory level for significantly longer.

3. Ritwick thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok. But does it help with the multiple display scenario? I agree it makes more sense to use the graphics card but the difference is almost $200

4. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Iris pro can do 2 external monitors. 750M can do 3. You can add even more with a USB 3 monitor adapter.

So you will need either 750M or Iris Pro and an external USB 3 monitor adapter compatible with osx if you want to use all 3 external monitors. However, know that a 4k monitor counts as 2 monitors if you want to do 60hz.