Iris Pro with Thunderbolt Display vs 750m

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by eknkc, Nov 1, 2013.

1. eknkc macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm planning to get a baseline retina with 2.3 (Maybe 2.6) Ghz CPU upgrade and 16 GB ram. I'm got gonna have the SSD upgrade as I don't use much storage already on my 2012 MBP Retina. This gets cheaper than the dGPU version. (Not so significant though)

I mostly work in clamshell mode with a Thunderbolt Display. No gaming or 3d work. Mostly cpu intensive apps running. I also work mobile frequently and battery life is important for me. That's why I thought having no discrete GPU might be better.

However I have a tendency to get mad about scrolling performance on apps and stuff like that.

Would Iris Pro be just fine for my setup? Or should I go ahead and buy the dGPU one?

Thanks!

2. -Eden macrumors member

-Eden

When you plug in the rMBP w/750m into a TBD, the 750m will automatically trigger. But you plug in the Mag Safe 2 into the computer anyways to charge so I don't think battery life would be important in front of a screen.

If you want to be safe, get the 750m and disable the 750m when your on the go.

But, if you say you are only doing CPU intensive stuff, I would just get the Iris Pro to save some money. The quad core is very capable!

3. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

This is a good point. If you are going to get the 2.6GHz with 16GB of RAM you only have to spend another $100 to get the dGPU and you'll get the 512GB SSD too. If you decide to get a 2.6GHz CPU absolutely go for the 750m model.

4. eknkc thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestions!

Does this work fine? I have gfxCardStatus installed but it can not go around apps requesting dGPU and force integrated one most of the time.

If I go for 750m version I'd keep 2.3 GHz CPU, 2.6 gets too expensive on top of that. Without 750m, I can get 2.6 GHz for 100$ cheaper. That 0.3 GHz does not seem to be worth losing dGPU and 512 GB disk though.

2.3 / dGPU started to look better than my original plan...

5. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

If you switch to Integrated Only it really only switches to dynamic switching so switch to integrated only then go the the options again, you'll notice it says dynamic switching instead of integrated only so click integrated only to switch to integrated only again. At least thats what it does on my early 2013 15" rMBP. Its weird but it definitely will NOT force dGPU from any apps no matter what once you do that. I know because I've accidently opened games, FCP X, etc. and its stuck on iGPU only for me to wonder why everything is slow!

Definitely go 2.3GHz / GT 750M / 512GB SSD (standard). 0.3GHz probably isn't that big of a deal vs a dGPU.

6. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

What's the problem? I don't get it. :confused:

7. -Eden macrumors member

-Eden

Certain apps do push the rMBP to dGPU yep. If your not too crazy about battery life, just plug the laptop in where ever you are/can. Currently what I do at work, and at home. Therefore I don't have to complain not getting an extra half hour battery life.

Make sure the 2.3GHz is right for you! You didn't say anything about your usage , but depending on how CPU intensive your programs are, 2.6 might be worth it after all in the long run.

Good call on the 750m, the base high end 15" is the one I ended up with as well :)

8. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

With gfxCardStatus or what?

9. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

Yes, I don't understand what you're saying the problem is in this part: