Irish, buying in america...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by declanjh, Jul 15, 2007.

1. declanjh macrumors newbie

Hi. I'm in the market for a MBP. I'm irish so i'm looking into buying it in america as there's a substantial price difference. (A friend of mine is a pilot and is regularly in NYC/Boston/Chicago)

I have a few questions...

Will i run into any trouble using apple care if i've bought my MBP in another country?

Do i have to pay extra tax doing it this way?

I've heard of something called 'sales tax'(?) or something, in some states. Is this already included in the price on the apple store website?

Thank you for any help or advice you can give me!

Declan.

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

1) Applecare on laptops is international, so you shouldn't have any problems.

2) Technically, you would have to pay import duty on it when you return to Ireland

3) US sales tax is not included in the prices shown on apple's website. The amount of sales tax varies from state to state and even from town to town.

3. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

I would suggest you buying in a city where the sales tax is the least. A quick google shows that Chicago is 9%, NYC is 8.375% and Boston is 5%. It seems that you don't have to pay tax for electronics in Boston, but i'm not sure :eek:. I'm sure our fellow Americans friends can confirm that ;).
    As for the tax upon bring it to Ireland, its up to you to report it or not. If you toss the box, load some pics/documents on it, you'll most likely get through.

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Yeah, you have to pay tax on electronics in Boston. However, if you can somehow get to Salem, NH (less than an hour north of boston) there is an Apple store there and NH has no sales tax.

5. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

1) One thing to remember with applecare is that with a USA bought laptop, you might have to wait for parts to be shipped to Ireland should you need repairs, especially for parts that are different than what apple sells where you live.

2) If by "extra" tax you mean both your country's VAT AND the sales tax in the USA where you buy the computer, then yes, you'll pay "extra" tax (assuming you do everything legally)

3) as others have already said, the prices you see advertised in the USA don't include the local sales tax.

6. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Yes good idea hop up to the Rockingham Mall just over the border in New Hampshire,no sales tax.

7. mpw Guest

What parts would differ? All I can think of is the keyboard, which if it needed replacing you could swap for a UK layout unless you really want the US for any reason.

I don't think you'll have any warranty troubles.

No import duty, just VAT.

8. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

From here: http://www.revenue.ie/leaflets/pn1878.pdf

"When travellers return to Ireland from another country, having purchased goods there, they may be liable to pay import charges (Customs Duty, Excise Duty where applicable and VAT) at the airport or seaport of arrival. Depending on where the travellers are coming from and the type and value of goods that they have purchased and have in their possession, a certain amount of relief is available from these charges. This Guide outlines the relief available and how it may be obtained. "

9. mpw Guest

Lap tops are zero rated, as are desk tops. If you get an iPod they'll be 3% Duty + VAT.

10. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Interesting, is that the same for all EU countries?

11. mpw Guest

I believe so Duty-wise, VAT %s obviously vary.

12. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

well

if your just for the iPod...brought the iPod with headphones..and somehow got some music on it..there not going to do anything