Irish Road Racing in US

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by velocityg4, Jun 7, 2017.

1. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Is there a good channel on Comcast to watch these races (HD only)? I've just seen them once. This had to be the most insane motorcycle racing I've ever seen. One mistake and a rider can slam into a stone wall. Since then I've never found them being aired in the US.

Frankly I'd like to know where to find other vehicle races from around the world. I never see those Icelandic races up steep hills or long distance off road racing. European car races also seem go ripping through towns and country roads. But they are hardly ever aired here.

US car races are quite boring by comparison. Just circling around a track. Motocross is just as bad with a small dirt track in an arena. Those get aired all the time.

2. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

Have you watched the Isle of Man TT racing before? I'm a huge fan of road racing and started a thread last year that didn't even get a reply.

Racing in its purest form, all the danger, all the adrenaline. The Ulster Grand Prix is coming up too.

You need to arrange a holiday to the Isle of Man for TT fortnight. It's a must for any bucket list :)

3. Zenithal Suspended

I'd pay to go see a race being done in downtown Dublin. Narrow streets there are perfect for F1.

4. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

True but that's a different sport entirely.
    I'm a big F1 fan myself but road racing is far more exciting. The ego's are smaller with riders from humble working class backgrounds and the respect is higher as they know how much there is to lose. It's a different form of motorsport and possible the last in its purest form. No glitz and glamour, it's just about the rider and his bike.

5. Zenithal Suspended

Never really got into moto racing. Probably the sheer speed of it making it hard to watch if you knew the bloke was about to fly off.

6. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

I tend not to think about the riders coming off and hope they don't as there is often no getting up. I suppose in a way it's like F1 from the 60's and 70's but with a lot more competitors.

7. Zenithal Suspended

Possibly the best way to look at it. Even cup racing causes me to lose my cool when there's a terrible accident. For us, the watcher, it's entertainment most of the time, but once a crash occurs, you worry about the bloke or most often these days, the kid, inside.

8. jeyf macrumors 6502

buy a 2-3 year old craigslist sport bike and take the bike up a canyon road early Sunday morning with friends.

9. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

You have one of the best sports car tracks in America in your home state https://www.roadatlanta.com/track-info/track-map

Pick up a ticket (the next event is July 29-30) or see if they have web casts.

10. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

I think OP was asking about road racing which is far more exciting than track events. The danger means it's banned in most countries and we are fighting to keep it in the UK. Is there anything similar in the States?

I know we've had American riders come and attempt the TT and they always claim it's like nothing else.

11. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

AFAIK and it has been a while road racing to an American means not a circle track or a drag race.

12. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

Ah right. It means racing in the roads in the UK and Europe. Public roads closed for racing with nothing in the way of run off areas etc. The OP did state Irish, however most of the road racing here is in the UK and Isle of Man.

Code:

https://youtu.be/r4NdcMELso8

13. velocityg4 thread starter macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Yes, the racing through closed roads on long routes without all the safety barriers is what I was after. I just thought it was Irish as the commentators sounded Irish.

I also like the Baja 500. Rally car racing on a mix of closed dirt roads and streets is interesting.

Some F1 Grand Prix is pretty good. Like in Monaco.

Those trimarans in Americas cup are fascinating.

I might check out the track in Atlanta.

14. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

A lot of road racing takes place in Northern Ireland which is in the UK, parts of Northern England and of course the most famous is in the Isle of Man which is in the middle of the Irish Sea not part of the UK or Ireland. I think Ireland shy away from road racing but I could be wrong?

You've just missed this years Isle of Man but there must be plenty of highlights online. Also worth looking at the North West 200. :)

15. Zenithal, Jul 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2017

Zenithal Suspended

COTA AKA Circuit of the Americas in Austin, Texas is a fantastic closed track.

As far as road racing goes, we do have the Long Beach Grand Prix. They close off major streets and smaller ones for the race series.

Road racing was never a thing in the US. Closed road drag was. When I was younger, the rozzers would often shut down a major street and hold supervised drag races between people. They still do it now, but on deserted airstrips far inland. Sometimes they even race people in their cruisers or personal rides. It does give people incentive to not do stupid stuff on a public road, and many of us appreciate that fact. Though I'd be lying if I said I didn't have my own fun on desolate roads in the middle of nowhere.

I personally think it, road racing, is great. It presents unique challenges to drivers. I've long lost my love for F1. I was never a fan of the other race groups and rally just angers me because of how careless the spectators are.