Iron vs. Steamer?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by anamznazn, Jan 22, 2008.

?

Which do you prefer?

1. Steamer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Iron

4 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. I like my clothes wrinkled

4 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. anamznazn macrumors regular

anamznazn

Which one do you guys use and why? I just bought me a steamer and I'm not too quite happy with it. I found a good deal for a $40 steamer so I just went with it. I know it's pretty cheap so I can't really expect much for it. Just wondering if the more expensive steamers are actually better or not.

I'm probably going to return it and either buy a more expensive steamer or a better iron. Just need some pros and cons on each first.

2. Spizzo macrumors 6502

I like my iron. I only use it maybe 4 or 5 times a year, no need to dress up. But when I am not using it, it hides away really easy.

3. pjarvi macrumors 65816

pjarvi

I've used an iron once, but that one more time than a steamer, so I went with iron. Usually i'll just toss something in the drier if it's wrinkled, though.

Edit - Oh, for the pro's cons: when I used the iron it was to iron a nice tie that I have. I just put the tie on a dish towel, on-top of a breadboard and ironed away. No need for any fancy hanging system, and no mess. Just plug the iron in, and use a surface to lay your clothes out on that won't burn (too easily). Worked great. The only real con for me, is the fear that I might touch the hot surface of the iron. I'm a bit schizo like that.

4. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

I've used a steamer but once. I had the concierge at the hotel bring me one once, and then I said, "I don't know how to use this. Pleeeease, help me..." And then he did. And then he tied my tie, because I didn't know how at the time.

Yes, I am that pathetic. I wear suits very, very frequently; I own nearly half a dozen; I understand how to pair a tie with a shirt and coat; I have strong opinions about suits. Yet, I only recently learned how to tie a tie, and I still can't manage to iron or steam my clothes in any effective way.

Hats off to me.

5. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

I've used an iron hundreds, maybe thousands of times, and hated every minute.

I'd love to hear how well decent steamers work, if anyone has tried one.