IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL_TO blue screen constantly!

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by KoNeko, Dec 18, 2010.

1. KoNeko macrumors member

Hello,

I'm running Windows 7 on an Early 2009 Mac mini with 1 GB RAM. For as long as I can remember, my computer has seemed to experience a lot of BSODing on Windows. I've tried clean installing both XP and 7 while still receiving the error.

It tends to happen randomly at totally different times; I've seen it happen waking up from sleep, in the middle of a game, and typing an address into Firefox. I think it may be linked to my bluetooth mouse and keyboard, but I'm not really sure as it's happened while away from both and just using my USB 360 controller.

I've tried updating drivers from manufacturers websites, using only the drivers that come with the OS X install disk, nothing seems to work and it's becoming really frustrating.

If anybody has any idea what could be causing these stupid IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL_TO blue screens, I would REALLY appreciate it if you could help me out.

Thanks,
    KoNeko

EDIT: All OS's I've installed have been 32 bit.

2. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

I assume you've tried updating to thel latest version of Boot Camp as well, version 3.2?

Has this started recently or has it been a constant thing since day one of installing Windows?

3. KoNeko thread starter macrumors member

Yes, I have updated to 3.2 as well.

This has happened since I began installing Windows. It could just be me, but it seems as if it is happening increasingly often recently.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

5. mynameismary macrumors newbie

I went through BSOD %$*&$ with my firewire drives - and the funny thing about it is that they both worked before I upgraded to Win 7. Turns out that Windows had three different drivers to choose from, and the default was the one causing my problem. Downloading "new" drivers from the manufacturer's web site didn't do anything to fix it, either. Once I chose a different driver (via somewhere in the control panel), everything straightened right out.

(The second major culprit is video card drivers. )

I second the RAM upgrade. :)

6. KoNeko thread starter macrumors member

I'm going to test the RAM when I get back home from vacation. If not that, then I think the culprit may be my Bluetooth devices; it always seems like when I move the mouse or press a key on my keyboard (which are both Bluetooth) I crash.

I appreciate all the help on this situation and I'll keep you posted on whether or not I find a solution.

7. KoNeko thread starter macrumors member

Alright, so I ran memtest both while running OS X and while in single user mode. Every test passed, but the program was unable to lock my memory, which it said could slow down the test (which did end up taking a bit of time since I told it to run 5 times). Anyway, I'm not really sure what other issues could be causing this. I'm going to see if my Bluetooth devices have anything to do with it by simply not using them.

Is there anything else that could be causing this and is there an application I could use to test my video card (since mynameismary said the video card could be a culprit)? I've tried multiple video card drivers, however, and none of them seemed to resolve or even alter the issue at all.

I'm really desperate and just want to find a solution so i can use Windows on my Mac mini.

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Weird that it could not lock 1 GB of RAM. This is only supposed to be an issue for 4 GB or more. The solution is to boot in the 64 bit kernel as I described here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=11515995&postcount=15

Yeah, try to isolate it to the Bluetooth stack. Don't use your devices and disable Bluetooth and see if things are OK for a while. Then try and bring it back on.

I don't know of any tools to really shake out the video card.

B