Irreparable Macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by johnpc, Sep 29, 2010.

1. johnpc macrumors member

A friend of mine recently gave me his old non-working macbook. What happened was a few years ago he had it plugged in to the wall and the magsafe power adapter caught fire. It normally ran hot when charging but one day actually literally caught fire. The next time he shut his computer down, he was never able to boot it up again. You click the power button but the machine seems unresponsive. He blamed himself for leaving it plugged in for too long and never did anything about it.

When you click the battery test button, all of the lights on the battery turn green, but when you press the power button nothing happens. What would it take to make this computer usable again/is it possible at all?

2. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Take it to an Apple Store and see what they say, which is what your friend should have done in the first place. The magsafe catching fire is Apple's fault, and they would have replaced it for free then... don't know what they'll do now.

3. johnpc thread starter macrumors member

That's exactly what I said. Now it costs money just to have someone look at it. Worth paying or do you think they'll tell me nothing can be done?

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

It could be the power input board. First try reseting the SMC. See the link in my sig.

5. johnpc thread starter macrumors member

I reset the SMC and still no response from the computer. What should I do?

6. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

It doesn't cost money to go in and see someone at the Genius Bar...