Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

northernbaldy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 13, 2010
the north, UK
Not sure if it's been mentioned before (this is a busy forum)

But, auto update! It's driving me nuts
When on cellular, apps will still try to auto update, even if update over cellular is switched off!
It tries to download, then realises you have update over cellular switched off, but that locks the app out until you connect to wifi!

When I get home, I'll report it to apple (unless someone on here has already)

Gogurt48

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2013
As soon as they announced it at the keynote, I knew that auto update was a "feature" I didn't want. I never update apps that are important to me until I check the reviews. I'm sure we've all seen cases where there is suddenly a string of one-star reviews with comments like, "They broke it. Whatever you do, don't update!"

I wouldn't mind auto update if there were also a way to revert to the previous version if you decide you don't like the update.

tremlock

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2008
The Land of Cleves
You can also delete the app on your iPhone then go home and reinstall via iTunes. Unless you updated the version on your computer you'll have the previous version

Smith288

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
Not sure if it's been mentioned before (this is a busy forum)

But, auto update! It's driving me nuts
When on cellular, apps will still try to auto update, even if update over cellular is switched off!
It tries to download, then realises you have update over cellular switched off, but that locks the app out until you connect to wifi!

When I get home, I'll report it to apple (unless someone on here has already)

I just disable App Store in the Cell Data app usage properties. Not sure if that takes care of it only occurring only over Wifi but my usage for Software Updates over Cell is only 191kb (which is likely an app that was updated prior to me disabling AppStore over Cell).

AceMason

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2009
I love auto update. I disdain seeing red notifications days on end if I don't update my apps myself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.