irritating screen dimming...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ryans79, Jan 31, 2010.

1. ryans79 macrumors regular

Hey,
    I am on a MBP uni 13"..

basically the screen brightness keeps changing from dimmer to brighter depending on the light around me.. and it almost never gets it right which irritates the crap outa me.

I went into system preferences but i dont know what i need to change to turn of the computer judging whats the best brightness for me, i have the brightness buttons on my keyboard i would like to set it manually TYVM Apple..
    but how do i turn it off?

I know that damn sensor is constantly checking because when i cover the sensor next to the camera with my hand the screen dims..

please help!!!

Thanks!
    Ryan

2. ryans79 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you!

One question with regards to the graphic you posted:

it shows 1440x900
    but mine does not go that high, the best i have is
    1280x800

is that because i have a 13" ?

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Yes, besides those are screenshots I found on the web, they are just showing the same resolution by accident.
    The first one is from Mac OS 10.3, the last one form 10.5/6.

4. ryans79 thread starter macrumors regular

Is there anyway to 'push' the resolution to 1440 on my 13 incher?
    I'm on 10.6.2

Searching for the dimming problem on google for some reason kept sending me to power preferences. Your reply really helped, thanks again :)

(hopefully it should also improve battery life a bit as that sensor is off)

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

No, your native (=maximum) resolution is 1280 x 800, it will not be possible to get a bigger resolution with that screen.

If you find a 13" display with a bigger resolution and that will fit into your MBP, you can try to replace it though. But that should void the warranty.

6. ryans79 thread starter macrumors regular

OIC!
    Well, will just be happy with what i have then:p

Cheers mate!

7. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

I believe that there have been hacks that people have done, but all it does is make the screen resolution go beyond the edge of the screen and it moves when you get your cursor over there. Annoying as heck.

You don't want to try to push the resolution higher anyway. Since you have 1280 physical pixels horizontally and 800 physical pixels vertically, displaying more pixels than that would just make everything quite blurry. To get an idea for how it would look, screen share a Mac with a resolution higher than yours onto your computer. OS X will scale down the screen so it all fits.