Is 0.1 more gHz worth it when buying a mac?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by futurejetblackowner, Jun 5, 2018.

1. Joined:
    Oct 24, 2016
    I could get the standard ‘15 and upgrade it to 512gb and 4gb Radon

Or the already made one that’s $80 with a slightly faster processor

2. meme1255 macrumors 6502a

3. 0007776 Suspended

It probably is not worth it. You won't notice much difference, and it will not extend the useful life of the machine.

4. leman macrumors G3

The 0.1Ghz won't make any difference, but the extra 2MB could. Of course, it depends on how you use the machine. If you are routinely doing demanding CPU processing/number crunching, it could shave off some seconds from you workflows here and there. If the price difference is negligible and you do intense work on your machine, I'd take the one with larger cache. If you use it for more casual stuff, don't bother.

Or even better, get a refurb and save some $

5. borgranta macrumors 6502

borgranta

I saw some refurbished Mac Pros from Apple some of which had this

Dual AMD FirePro D700 graphics processors with 6GB of GDDR5 VRAM each

Based on the excerpt above it appears that both graphics cards have 6GB of GDDR5 VRAM making a grand total of 12GB of GDDR5 VRAM between both cards. The cheapest version with the dual 6GB graphics cards is $3,339.00 with 256GB SSD and 16GB memory. The next Cheapest is $4,249.00 for one with 32GB ram and 1TB SSD. Both of which has the 3.0GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

.1 gHz isn't going to be noticable at all imo. I think we're well beyond measuring the speed of a computer by it clock rate. For simplicty sake, I'd probably opt for the stock model that has the configration that you mentioned.