Is 1.1.3 worth it?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by bazookafx3, Jan 28, 2008.

1. bazookafx3 macrumors regular

I have a 1.1.1 jailbroken ipod touch. I was thinking about upgrading to 1.1.3 and then jailbreaking it...... is it worth it? I hear about alot of crashes and hickups in 1.1.3. So should i upgrade?

2. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

Go to 1.1.2 jailbreak then to 1.1.3 jailbreak.

3. nintapple macrumors member

is it worth it? no.
    spent hours and hours. too many details specific to people's situation not mentioned in guides. too many versions of everything. you need fast bandwidth to download 150mb+ files.

did i still do it? heck yea

4. macfan881 macrumors 68020

5. ehaugk macrumors member

It's so absolutely worth it. You have all the same functionality as 1.1.1 or 1.1.2 with 1.1.3 jailbroken and it's really not that difficult. Just patience and following instructions. I'm sure you've seen a million different ways to jailbreak but if you follow http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=421958 method it works perfectly from a jailbroken 1.1.2. I now have exactly everything I had on my jailbroken 1.1.2 PLUS wiggly icons, web clips, and functionality to watch rented movies. If you have any questions throughout the process I'm more than happy to help and I'll get back to you very quickly. My email is eric.haugk@gmail.com. Good luck!

EDIT #1: Summerboard DOES work on 1.1.3 RIGHT NOW, the only thing you can't do is change wallpaper backgrounds. But there is an application called Wallpaperize.app which will do that for you.

6. cazlar macrumors 6502

It all depends if you a) like fiddling and b) have some patience to do a "complicated"/multi-step restore/jailbreak process to get you back to where you were IF something were to go wrong.

The dev team jailbreak is now pretty automated, and seems to be relatively problem free. I went from 1.1.1 to 1.1.3 directly using the earlier Nate's jailbreak, but even though it went relatively OK (there were some hiccups along the way), there were too many things broken for my liking (iTunes previews, locateme, no protected music etc). So I went back to 1.1.2 (via 1.1.1), with a few more hiccups in between.

I might try 1.1.3 again, but maybe in a few days when I have time to fiddle if I hit problems again.

As mentioned above, I'd go to 1.1.2 before you jump to 1.1.3, and probably use the dev team JB.

7. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

For me, it was worth it. I had barely any trouble, and was done in roughly 20min with the 1.1.3JB.

If you absolutely depend on Summerboard or other not-yet-compatible apps, dont upgrade yet.

8. bazookafx3 thread starter macrumors regular

wait so I can't use my iTunes purchased music on a 1.1.3 jailbronen touch?

9. shaden79 macrumors newbie

he is talking about the nate true method which was released early and had a few bugs. such as breaking purchased music.

the dev team method works beautifully and has none of the earlier bugs. it does take about a half an hour to an hour but adds quite a few upgrades.

if you have an ipod touch this method (follow the link below) by The iPod Elite Team is easy to follow and entirely painless. it also adds all the January update apps for free... if you didn't have them already.
    http://www.ipodtouchfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31190

if you have an iphone you can probably just use the method from modmyifone.com instead. you can find them in your installer additional sources section.

currently summerboard and customize are still being updated to 1.1.3 but they should be out within a day or so.( i have heard rumors that they are both already finished.)

i hope this helps

good night and good luck,

Shaden79

10. boonleng macrumors regular

Yup... I'm afraid that's correct. I upgraded to JB 1.1.3 and now I can't play all my purchased music... but luckily I don't have many DRM music.

11. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

If you go 1.1.1 > 1.1.2 > 1.1.3 you dont have any DRM problems.

12. TheDPR macrumors member

But if you're "upgrading" so that you can do the "same things" you were doing before, what's the upgrade? What does 1.1.3 actually do for anyone?

13. cazlar macrumors 6502

Well, other than moving the icons around and webclips, not much. Unless you manage to get the new Google Maps locate to work, which is fairly cool, although you could do similar with LocateMe etc too I guess. I think rentals might work too, but haven't confirmed this.

The big benefit will be if 1.1.3 is the SDK edition as was suggested by some, then you will want to be running it then, although that benefit doesn't really matter until it is released! Plus, there will probably be the "proper" jailbreak that the dev team was holding back (not this soft-upgrade method) released at that point anyway.

So in my opinion, not a huge gain, unless you like experimenting anyway. I'll stick with 1.1.2 for a bit I think.

14. bazookafx3 thread starter macrumors regular

Can anyone else confirm that if i go 1.1.1>1.1.2>1.1.3 then my DRM music WILL work?

15. -Dark Angel- macrumors 6502

No, its not worth it, but while your waiting on thinking about upgrading, go ahead and help pass the time by putting in the lyrics for your song so you'll be ready to read lyrics on your touch.

16. shaden79 macrumors newbie

Yes DRM'd music using the dev method works just fine. i am living proof. though you could just go to your computer and use my fair tunes to remove the DRM. i would recommend upgrading in about a weeks time all the apps should be updated then and you can enjoy the new features as well as the apps.

though the wiggling icons is a much better way to move applications then before and bookmarks on your desktop is pretty cool.

17. JAT macrumors 603

So....if you already know where you are.....you could wait on 1.1.3?

18. Four20 macrumors 6502a

Four20

I have not had any issues with the JB 1.1.3.

i have even noticed mobilesafari responds a lot quicker after a scroll or zoom.