Is 1.8 GHz and 80 GB HDD stupid?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Adokimus, Feb 26, 2008.

  1. Adokimus macrumors 6502a

    Adokimus

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2007
    Location:
    Boston, MA
    #1
    As I've said in previous posts, I really want a MBA and the only real thing holding me back is the crappy iPod HDD or the too-small SSD. Ideally, I would like to buy my Air when a 128 GB SSD becomes available. BUT, and here lies the problem, I would love to use the Air during the summer when I am on the go the most. It seems that 128 GB drives won't be ready until at least the end of the summer.

    So, what if I got a 1.8 GHz and 80 GB HDD setup? How much would apple charge to install a new SSD later? And no, I don't mean the price of the drive, I mean the installation fee. Also, is this a stupid idea? Should I just wait on the MBA until the capacity is large enough to make the leap? Or should I just go ahead with the 64 GB and store most everything on an external drive?

    Gah, this is killing me.

    -Ado
     
  2. Mikebuzzsaw macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2007
    Location:
    Los Angeles, CA
    #2
    Is the MBA going to be your main computer? Do you have a secondary computer at home? You have to ask yourself... do you need anymore than 64GB of HDD? Isn't most of your music on your ipod/iphone already and you only need to load 1-2 movies at a time.

    Plus external HDD are cheap now a days and very portable.



    If I were you... and you desperately need the HDD space... but want the MBA NOW, then buy the 1.8 and do a 128GB SSD swap yourself. I don't think Apple store does upgrades.

    If you need the bigger HD more than your need for MBA... don't buy it. Buy a cheap used macbook for like $900. Wait it out. Sell it when new MBA comes out for $100-200 lost.
     
  3. dibara2003 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 18, 2007
    Location:
    Hawaii!
    #3
    i don't think they'll offer a upgrade option to retro-fit. but it seems that you could easily do it yourself. If you can't wait, go for the 1.8 80gb. if you only put what you need on their, you should have enough space. if not, go buy a WD Passport.
     
  4. Adokimus thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Adokimus

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2007
    Location:
    Boston, MA
    #4
    Already have a 250 GB WD Passport, I was just afraid of the battery impact if I ran too much off of it. Plus, it's something extra to remember to pack and carry, defeating some of the purpose of the Air for me.
     
  5. Mikebuzzsaw macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2007
    Location:
    Los Angeles, CA
  6. anarchron macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2004
    #6
    I've got a 1.8/80 CTO MacBook Air. I intend to swap out the HDD when the price of SSD comes down and perhaps use the HDD externally via a USB enclosure.
     
  7. Adokimus thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Adokimus

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2007
    Location:
    Boston, MA
    #7
    Do you plan to do it yourself or are you going to take it to a certified mac technician?
     
  8. sparkstack Guest

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2008
    #8
    My thoughts exactly which is why i bought my 1.8/80
     
  9. Tensakun macrumors 6502

    Tensakun

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2008
    Location:
    Akashi, Japan
    #9
    DIY SSD swapping?

    This is a good point: Does anyone have the straight dope on whether a) Apple provides the replacement service once larger SSDs are available; b) the HDs can actually be replaced by SSDs (a connecting part is available in the HD MBAs); and c) this is as easy to do yourself as the old days of changing PB RAM ("push gently but firmly")?

    In theory, seems like getting the 1.8 GHz and HD while waiting for SSDs to get larger and cheaper is a good plan.
     
  10. dibara2003 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 18, 2007
    Location:
    Hawaii!
    #10
    it was mentioned in a tear down that the connectors and space allow someone to change it out themselves. the only problem might be the mounting brackets... but if they're the same size, it shouldn't be a problem.
     
  11. Terwal macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2008
    #11
    Same situation here. Same intentions...
     
  12. anarchron macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2004
    #12
    I shall do it myself. It doesn't look too hard and apparently there aren't any warranty stickers to tear if you open the bottom case so you should be fine.
     
  13. Tensakun macrumors 6502

    Tensakun

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2008
    Location:
    Akashi, Japan
    #13
    Pretty big "if"

    Thanks for the info. Without confirming the "only problem might be" and "if...it shouldn't be" it might be a bit risky to count on upgrading later. But I suppose as the MBA matures on the market there'll be stories in the Mac media on people doing--or maybe not doing--this.

    Also imagine that a lot of people starting with this strategy (maybe me) will find the HD just fine and never get around to upgrading before getting the next machine.
     
  14. gregk205 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2008
    Location:
    New York
    #14
    I intend to purchase the 1.8 and 80GB when I arrive back in the States in 2 weeks. I can't wait. I am hoping that it will be much cooler than my MB when I am websurfing with it on my lap. I am typing this with my MB sitting on it's messenger bag because it is too hot to keep on my lap.. :(
     

Share This Page