is 1 GB enough?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by surajnangia, May 6, 2007.

1. surajnangia macrumors 6502

Hi

I plan to buy a macbook pro soon. Is 1 gb enough , for both windows and mac osx to work on it.. or ill need o upgrade to 2 GB?

Thanks

2. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

3. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

I have 1.25g in my MB and it's fine, although I'm planning on upgrading to 2g soon (prices are falling)
    Do not waste your money on buying it with Apple - buy third party and put it in yourself - much cheaper.

4. squwish macrumors member

squwish

Yeah, what they said.
    Take a look at this:
    Corsair 2GB

It's a pretty good deal-IMO

5. Andrew D. macrumors 6502

Yeah, that deal is really good. I second squwish, awesome find! Purchase aftermarket RAM, you'll save a lot of money.

6. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

One Gb is quite satisfactory for all but the most demanding applications, that said two Gb is better than one. :)

FJ

7. bankshot macrumors 65816

bankshot

If you're going to run Windows in Parallels, go with at least 2 GB. I believe the MBP can take up to 3, right? You might even consider that, but probably not unless you find from experience that 2 is inadequate.

My Macbook has 2 GB and I wish it could take more (original CD model). When I run my Windows XP virtual machine in Parallels, nearly all of my memory is used up, and the entire machine slows to a crawl if I have too many other things open. The virtual machine is configured to run with 512 MB. Trying to run multiple virtual machines at once is just asking for pain.

That said, if you'll only be using Windows with Bootcamp, you may very well be fine with 1 GB. Though personally I view rebooting as incredibly inconvenient and to be avoided at all costs, so I strongly prefer the convenience of having both OS X and Windows at the same time with Parallels. But that's just me. ;)

8. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

9. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

I'll echo that 1GB is fine if you're using bootcamp, but if you're thinking about using parallels, 2GB is a must.

10. hidehide macrumors 6502

1GB is enough if you are doing things just in mac os.
    I will get my 2gb ram tomorrow :)