Is 10.11 worth the upgrade?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by MacOSXuser, Jul 29, 2016.

1. MacOSXuser macrumors regular

I have a late 2012 Mac Mini, still running 10.10 no problems, only thing is I can't view live photos as it needs 10.11. I wonder if I upgrade would I experience slower performance? As we know Apple likes to do this to make us buy newer Macs.

2. jbarley macrumors 68040

jbarley

3. craig1024 macrumors regular

El Capitan is much faster and uses less ram than Yosemite, once you disable system integrity protection it functions exactly the same, I will update to Sierra to get picture in picture YouTube

4. fischersd macrumors 601

fischersd

@MacOSXuser I'm surprised you've waited almost a year (and now they're beta testing the next release of the OS - now MacOS) :)

I too have a 2012 mini, which I'll also be upgrading to Sierra (and installing an 802.11AC usb wifi adapter so I get the unlocking via my :apple:Watch.) :)

I did however upgrade my ram a few years ago to 16GB (so I know it'll be fine). If you're running with less than 8GB, you might want to consider a memory bump - we'll see if Sierra requires more or not.

5. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

6. roadkill401 macrumors 6502

roadkill401

You are doing far better than I had. When I tried to upgrade my 2012 mini to 10.10 it just didn't like it one bit. Was very slow and beach balled on just about everything. Even after I tried to bump the memory from the 4 it had, to 8. It wasn't until I threw reason to the wind and upgraded the unit with an SSD and put in 16gb but by that time they had moved to 10.11. It works fantastic. breathed in a whole new life into the little unit.