Is 128gb enough?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by semicolon, Jun 14, 2012.

1. semicolon macrumors newbie

So this will be my first Mac product other than an iPod Classic so I really have no idea about how the OS works, but I'm thinking of getting the base 13" MBA with 8gb RAM (I'm a very on-to-go college student). However, I have about 70gb of music and will probably download up to 20gb more in the next 3-4 years; will 128gb be enough space? I really won't be storing anything else (some pictures and documents and apps; movies will be on an external HD, but I need my music all the time). My Windows computers always get filled up with a lot of random crap and always start out missing a few GBs anyway. $300 just seems like a lot for more space!

I'm thinking of maybe getting the upgraded 13" MBA and sticking with 4gb RAM on that? From reading a lot of the forums though, getting the 8gb RAM seems to be the only smart way to go.

Sorry if this was confusing; I don't know how Macs work so I want to be an educated buyer!

2. AlanShutko macrumors 6502a

You will be cutting it way too thin if you have 70GB of music on there. You'll have around 30GB for everything else, including the OS. The OS is somewhere around 8GB.

Macs really don't like it when they run out of space, so I'd suggest going with 256GB, or storing your music on an external.

3. fleawannabe macrumors regular

Im in the same boat, I want the 256 but the 128 is a good bit cheaper. I too have 80GBs of music, but if you break your itunes down to what you actually listen to a lot you probably have like 30GBs. You can store part of your itunes on an external and the stuff you really like on the mac itself. Just food for thought.

I think ill do the 128 for now then upgrade to the 512 when they come down a little in the near future.

4. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

I totally agree.

5. Black.Infinity macrumors 6502

Black.Infinity

BTW new macs come with usb3 so you can use an external hhd with usb3

6. semicolon thread starter macrumors newbie

Is it expensive to have someone else upgrade SSD for you? I have a MacUpgrades place nearby but I don't know if I'd save any money by going to them later (www.macmedics.com). Honestly I'm way too scared to do it myself.