iPad Is 128gb necessary / excessive?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JonTromblyNH, Mar 9, 2014.

1. JonTromblyNH macrumors newbie

I'm ready to upgrade my iPad2 16gb to a new iPad (probably mini retina) would like more storage space but trying to decide if the 128gb is really worth the very expensive price tag (I budget $30 a week for personal purchases)... I do hope this to be a long term purchase so I'm tempted to get the best option possible but since I do primarily use where I can access Wi-Fi and stream purchases thru the cloud I'm wondering if a 32gb or 64gb would be a smarter choice and not one I'd regret soon... any tips / advice would be helpful, thanks all

2. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Depends entirely on what you plan on using it for.

3. bpbatch, Mar 9, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2014

bpbatch macrumors member

••this post has been deleted by the author***

4. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

A DJ with a large music collection can easily fill a 128gb ipad.

I know someone who DJs using an ipad and it's full to the brim. And yes the ipad is actually usable for DJing; check out the app dJay in thr App Store it will blow your mind. :)

5. thelead macrumors 6502

If you like a ton apps and music (let alone videos), I would go with the 128gb option; especially if your going to be keeping it for a while.

6. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

I've had the 128GB iPad Air since it came out. I have lots of photos, movies, and music on it. It doesn't fit my entire collection but it fits about 20%. It's really great for travel. My only complaint is fingerprints... and they are my fingerprints. I am constantly wiping the screen.

I look at the cost this way. You get another 16GB for $100. The next 32GB costs you $100, and the last 64GB costs you $100. So that last 64GB costs the same as the first 16GB addition.

I would say if you plan to keep this iPad for several years and have a lot of stuff to put on it... go for the extra space... you won't regret it.

PS: I funded mine using accumulated credit card points and trading in 2 iPhone 4's to Best Buy.

7. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Whether it's necessary or not depends entirely on you. If you find a need for it, then I don't think it's excessive at all.

Besides, think of it this way:

$100 / (32GB - 16GB): $6.25/GB
    $100 / (64GB - 32GB): $3.13/GB
    $100 / (128GB - 64GB): $1.56/GB

$200 / (64GB - 16GB): $4.17/GB
    $300 / (128GB - 16GB): $2.68/GB

8. DaCurmudgen macrumors regular

Faced the same dilemma when I upgraded

When I was looking to upgrade my iPad3 to an rMini, I wanted to max it out to 128 for the same reasons - use it for music and music production.

Unfortunately, my impatience won out when the rMinis were released, and I snatched up one of the first 64GB LTE rMinis that showed up in NYC first week after launch.

Turns out, I end up streaming more music than I thought, and most of my other heavy content is also cloud-based. Clearly that is a drag if you are using cellular, so I try to load a few things on the iPad when I am home so that I don't need to use the cellular for anything big.

Also, I hear more and more great things about these wireless hard drives for devices: http://www.seagate.com/promos/seaga...wireless-_-g-_-us-_-seagate wireless plus-_-e

So, I don't regret buying a smaller device, and I think there are plenty of ways to work around any serious limitation depending on how you plan to use it. I'd say 32GB at a minimum, 64GB would be fine, and you will never have to worry with 128GB. Good luck.

9. Kangda macrumors member

I think the 128gb is actually a smart buy for someone who is considering the 64gb. For $100 more, the extra 64gb is worth it if you think you may need it. With Best Buy's iPad sales lately, there is bound to be some deal on them. I say go for it.

10. ScottNWDW macrumors 65816

ScottNWDW

My first iPad was the original and I got the 32GB WiFi. Shortly after the iPad 3 came out I won a 16GB WiFi at work. The retina screen was great, but 16GB was definitely not enough. This past summer I upgraded to an iPad 4 with LTE and 64GB. I don't see myself ever going back to an iPad below 64GB again. although most of the time the iPad is half empty the extra space allows me to put some movies or load it up with pictures for when I visit the family back home. The next full size iPad will 128GB.

When the iPad mini came out I bought a WiFi 64GB version with a good deal from Target. Having the 64GB was great and was one of the reasons I upgraded to the iPad 4. Last month, after having the LTE iPad 4 for awhile, I decide to upgrade to the rMini with LTE and this time went with the 128GB model.

Having the extra space is good and I feel good knowing that it will be quite awhile. I would definitely suggest going for the 128GB for the extra $100 over the 64GB.

11. JonTromblyNH thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the feedback and advice today, much appreciated!

12. saltd macrumors 6502a

saltd

If you have a dedicated reason that you think will use a lot of space for apps/music/video etc., or some professional reason for that much storage, then just do it(if you can conscientiously afford it :)).

I went for the 128 because I use it as a GPS device for mapping and surveying. I upload these map files to my iPad so I don't have to have a signal to see where I am. Some map files are huge, and I want more than just maps on my ipad. It's a work device, so it seemed easy to justify the extra storage.

If you don't, then I'd not opt for the 128, the 64 should suit you-maybe even the 32. 100 or 200 bucks is a lot of dough, and the storage doesn't really help the resale value as much as you might think.

Just my 2 cents

13. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

14. bniu macrumors 6502a

Those why buy 128GB know they need it and won't be asking whether or not they need it.

15. bpbatch, Mar 9, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2014

bpbatch macrumors member

••this post has been deleted by the author***

16. albertfallickwa macrumors 6502a

albertfallickwa

128 Gb is good for those who want to watch a whole season of TV shows or HD video. Honestly you could cram all 3 seasons of Game of Thrones on it. :D

17. MacMandy macrumors 6502

MacMandy

I was going to get the 64gb, as when I visit relatives, there's little or no wifi and I like to keep lots of music, tv shows and films on when I go. I'm also quite a hoarder of games too.

Anyway, I ended up buying my iPad Air on Black Friday, so it was just £20 more to get the 128gb than I was expecting to pay for the 64GB, so I went for the 128GB.

Like others have said, if you can get a deal, then getting the 128gb is great. I have all I want on mine for everyday, and it's more than half full. I also have 40gb free to add extra media for the visits to relatives, so I'm very happy.

Write a list with what you'll be putting on it and add up the storage needed. Then double it, and that's what you should lean towards if you plan on keeping it for a while.

18. Kangda macrumors member

I have the iPad Mini Retina 128gb Verizon. Was able to get it for $60 off after Apple Store price matched Best Buy's sale at the time (about 2 weeks ago). The discount made the 128gb a no brainer for me.

19. CEmajr macrumors 601

Depends on what you use it for. I get by with the 16GB iPad Mini because I mostly use it for browsing, eBooks, and music (but iTunes Match handles the space issue). When I do load videos on it, it's only for occasional trips and I delete them later. If I actually had a larger capacity iPad, the only thing I can think of personally that I would use it for is storing more videos.

20. DiCaprioAngel macrumors 6502

I purchased the 128GB iPad rMini simply for the fact that I don't have to worry about how much I want on there. I put all my music, pictures, apps, books, and movies that I would like to watch when I'm on the go and not near wifi. I filled about halfway through already and I still have more to go. I don't regret the purchase because this will be the only iPad I will ever own. I don't need a new one every time one comes out so I'm happy with what I got. I got 32GB on my phone and I'm already running out of space (have and the iPhone 5 since it came out, so nearly two years of photos/music/apps have accumulated big time). For the phone I know I won't have to go all the way for the space because I have the iPad for that. It is an expensive buy, but if you plan on using it for a long time and not buying any new ones that come out later on, it's worth it! That's how I look at it. This iPad will be with me until, if ever, it stops working.

21. HenryDJP macrumors 603

Thanks to this thread I exchanged my iPad Air 16GB for a 32GB. :) I bought it mainly for business purposes and today's business/personal needs requires much more than 16GB. Also the advertised storage is far from reality. The 16GB iPad out of the box offers only 12.8GB storage.

22. Nipommu macrumors regular

For me, the use of 128 is justified only when i have an apple TV and a large TV and here is why. My ipad doesn't have a lot of apps maybe two dozen, no pictures, music, or videos. What i want to do if i had the money would be buying an apple tv and playing videos off my ipad onto it on a huge LED tv.

I would download youtube downloader and video downloader for my ipad and download content on my ipad airplaying it on my TV without using bandwidth. I just want to have the convenience of being able to using airplay without downloading and uploading content to my ipad through itunes.

Other than that, i don't need a 128 but i can see why some people might need it. just the thought of having lots of videos i can play offline is a desirable but need a lot of storage for that. this would be my ultimate set up but at the time i don't have a TV or an apple tv so i have a long way to go. anybody want to sell a 128 ipad for cheap? :D

23. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

Being in the healthcare field I carry huge amounts of files, software, etc. I travel extensively and don't want to be bothered carrying my files on an external drive. Storing files in the cloud are not an option due to security issues/risks.

If a larger capacity ipad was offered I would definitely buy it.

24. Barhen macrumors member

Pick up a wireless hard drive, and you good to go ;)

25. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

op I have huge iTunes libraries and keep at least 20gb of photos on my devices and still find 64gb fills my needs. Then again my needs might be different than yours but the only thing I sync back and forth are movies/tv shows. other than that all my music photos and apps pretty much fit