Is 128GB SSD worth it in low end 13" MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dr.Seuss, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Dr.Seuss macrumors newbie

Been waiting for several months now to make the switch from PC to Mac. A little disappointed with no significant upgrade to the 13" MBP.

For those of you familiar with this machine - would it be worth it to get the low end 13" MBP and throw in the 128 SSD? Conventional wisdom would lead me to believe this would be slightly better performance wise than the previous 13" MBP.

Any suggestions?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Buy the SSD from 3rd party, you get a lot faster one for cheaper price

3. hellfire88 macrumors 6502

Agreed with Hellhammer. Apple charges what, $350 in the loew-end 13" MBP for a 128GB SSD? And the ones they use are lower-performing Samsung or Toshiba that may not support TRIM (important to stave off SSD performance degradation).

I'd get it from a 3rd party. For example, the Kingston SSDNOW 128GB I think uses the Intel controller like the X25-M's (great performers) for a lot less $$, like <$250 from buy.com:

http://www.buy.com/prod/kingston-12...-5-solid-state-drive/q/loc/101/214308841.html

4. Dr.Seuss thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys. I think I'm about to pull the trigger on the low end 13" MBP. See how it performs and possibly upgrade to an SSD as prices drop and performance increases.

5. jkozlow3 macrumors 6502a

I got an 80GB Intel X25 for $219 a 6-8 weeks back and it is WAY quicker than the stock 5400rpm drive - so much so that I wouldn't ever want to go back. A complete boot is under 15 seconds now! I guess it depends on how much storage space you need, but 80GB was more than enough for me at this time.

4GB of ram and a good SSD are 2 of the best upgrades once can make to the low end MBP 13" (previous to today's model refresh). Both are generally cheaper to do on your own however.