Is 13" going to get matte screen/discrete video?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by babak, Oct 3, 2009.

1. babak macrumors member

The usual dilemma: to buy or to wait? Currently have a MacBook Alu and the LCD on this machine is simply horrible + I the glossy screen turned out to be pretty annoying (although I did like it initially).

I am thinking of getting a 15" with discrete graphics & matte screen (compared it side-by-side with a glossy @ AppleStore - the difference is HUGE)... but I could wait for a couple of months only if I knew that there was a 13" with a good screen/discrete graphics in development since I don't like the size of the 15" (weight is not an issue, it is mostly the ability to use it everywhere). I also compared the 13" MBP screen with a 15" (both glossy) and the 13" just sucks! Why can't they make the 13" a bit more expensive but give it a decent LCD? Even as an option? I have a Sony VAIO Z with a great matte 13" display, wish I could just transplant it into the the Mac :)

An ideal configuration for me would be a 13" with a decent matte screen and powerful graphics. But then, I'm a bit reluctant to wait as Apple may actually make matters worse by having worse graphics on new-gen MBP and perhaps no matte option whatsoever. I really don't care about the Arrandale vs Penryn, dual-core vs triple-core... whatever. The only part of the computer that I look @ all day long is the display, so it has to be a good one.

2. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Take your current mb to the apple store with a black and white movie DVD. Demonstrate to them there is a defect with the display and ask for a new screen or a new unit. Did you get your mb in late '08? Is it a 9c89? Those screens were simply horrid.

3. babak thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for the advice. It is indeed a 9c89. I got it in March or April '09 @ a Microcenter store without doing any research (just needed an Apple machine urgently). Do you really think they would replace the screen?
    Although, in all honesty, I don't really like the screen on the 13" MBP either. When set side-by-side in terms of increasing quality in my opinion:

13" MB Alu < 13" MBP < 15" MBP glossy < 15" MBP anti-glare

I really really like the 15" MBP matte screen, but the unit size is just too big compared to the 13". It seems as if Apple is viewing the 13" MBP line as a "budget" choice, but that is not always the case. Some people would be willing to spend more money on a sub-notebook to get better display and performance. It is similar to when someone gets a Mini Cooper or a BMW 1-series: they are buying a small car not to save money or have better MPGs, they just don't need a big car. Sony and IBM have a line of 13" powerful laptops that when customized can come close to USD 3000! I guess you just can't have it all with Apple, can you?

4. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

No. Possibly the matte on the 13". It will never get a discrete graphics card, the body is too small to fit it...hence why the 13" only has one fan as compared to two. The discrete graphics would turn it into an over-priced hot plate.

And glossy or matte is all about preference. It does not make one 15/17" MacBook Pro better over the other.

5. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

I agree I wish I had a matte screen on my 13in but I have to admit it is a lot better then the screens most of my windows friends have, this has a lot better viewing angle then theirs (though I realize yours is the older worse model).

Also we won't see a dedicated video card unless Apple removes the disc drive, decides to make their laptops bigger (not going to happen) or Apple designs some sort of miracle/shoves way to big of a card in a small place and burns your lap.

6. babak thread starter macrumors member

to Minimoose 360 --> you are right about the matte/glossy being a preference, not an absolute good/bad. I was actually very pleased with the glossy when I first got it. It somehow makes everything look more "pretty". I even cought myself staring at the icons in the Dock :) amazed at how vibrant and colorful they looked. Later however I noticed that my eyes would get tired quicker and @ one of our offices the lighting was set up in such a way that I would get screen glare no matter how I turned the screen.
    It's so painful to have a choice :)
    If the heat dissipation issue would preclude Apple from installing a discrete video card into its 13" line I could still live with a good on-board chip, but I want a good screen - just cut the 15" matrix to fit into the 13" and I will take it :) hey, I'll even take a glossy one :apple:

7. babak thread starter macrumors member

to reallynotnick --> yeah.. I got the really bad version of the LCD that has wahed-out colours, bad lateral angles and horrible bleed-through (no black at the bottom of the screen especially). I am also spoiled by my home 2960WUXi that I believe uses the smae matrix as some of the :apple: CinemaDisplays. I really like it except a single broken pixel (green) and its total un-portability.

It sounds like I should just get a 15" MBP (matte) after all. I saw some talk on this board about the next gen MBP possibly having worse graphics.

8. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

That's good that your receptive to the product as a whole ;)

And I don't think they would switch from the 9400m any time soon considering it is the whole chipset...but I think there are better performing options out there. We can hope. Personally I wish the 15/17" had a better DISCRETE GPU...but to Apple it is all about power consumption.

9. phixiuz macrumors regular

Normally there should be no or very minimal difference in screen quality between the newest 13" and 15" MBP. I know there's a photography website but can't remember the name, where they compared the mid 2009 13", 15" and 17" matte and they clearly said they are pretty much all the same quality, so I guess calibration was the problem with you.

10. zw-gator macrumors 6502a

zw-gator

11. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

No the 9400M is an integrated GPU.

As for the screen, good luck with trying to get Apple to replace the screen with a better one. You might not be happy with the screen so it will be difficult to go to Apple and ask them to replace it. Even if they did allow it, there is no guarantee that you will get one of the better screens. This is one of the things where you either accept your screen or sell it and get the 13-inch MacBook Pro.

12. gotzero macrumors 68040

There have to be reasons for people to pony out money for the 15".

I see the 13" as an already great value, and because of the price point, I bet they are really outselling the 15". There is no reason to make them more competitive...

13. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

The film noir dvd trick worked for me twice with the God awful 9c89's. If it is as bad as mine were, even the biggest jacka$$ at the genius bar would have to admit the screen is flawed.

When you bought a $1300+ laptop and catch yourself ogling the screen on a dell mini 9, you know you got screwed.

14. ssinohio macrumors newbie

I got a 13" uMB in March with a 9C89 screen and it was so bad with viewing angles and washed out look, that I took it to the Apple store with a demo of a color test:
    http://www.drycreekphoto.com/Learn/Calibration/monitor_black.htm

(you should see the square turn gray by step 4 or 5, mine wouldn't be seen until 9 or 10)

After seeing that, they replaced the screen and I got a 9C8C. It was slightly better. I kept that for a few months but the uMBP update was eating at me so I sold it and ended up getting a 13" uMBP a few weeks ago. I may have lost a bit in the deal but I finally feel justified in getting something good for my money.

15. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

I also traded in my 13 uMB for a uMBP. Luckily, I was just in time to return for the restocking fee. I upgraded to the 2.53 and I only paid about $100. Best deal ever. Screen is sooooo much better.

Also, while there might be a matte option in the future for the 13" I doubt the availability of discreet graphics. Just not enough room.

Maybe in a couple years....

16. ssinohio macrumors newbie

I added the Power Support Anti-Glare for the uMBP on day one and just live with it. On my uMB without the anti-glare my glossy screen was always getting smudged and dirty and seemed to be a lint/dust attracter. With the anti-glare I get screen protection and no gloss/glare. There have been posts about the 15" and 17" anti glare models that smudge easily. With my anti-glare it stays cleaner. Just a thought.