Is 13" MacBook Pro mid-2010 worth upgrading?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by loby, Sep 18, 2015.

1. loby macrumors 6502a

loby

Need some advise please:

i have the 13" MacBook Pro mid 2010 2.66 MHz that is able to be upgraded to 16 GB ram and thought to put a SSD into it as well. Currently 4 GB of Ram. Has 320 GB stocked HD.

OWC claims my model can be upgraded to 16 GB: cost: $119. 240 GB SSD cost: $119

Total: $238.

Is it worth it? Yes, runs faster, but video is 256 intergrated ram... Wanted to run Final Cut Pro X and Logic Pro X on it.

Anyone with this model and upgraded? Major difference?

Thanks!

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

It'll run logic fine but you won't see any real improvement in FCPX, which is CPU/GPU bound. It'll run it of course but just not particularly well.

3. venom600 macrumors 6502a

4. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

The 13" 2010 MBP can be tricky about getting to 16 Gb RAM.
    Here is another MacRumors thread:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/upgrading-2010-macbook-pro.1916373/#post-21854614
    Here is a blog article from OWC about their testing the 2010 13" MBP for 16 Gb of RAM and the EFI firmware update.
    http://blog.macsales.com/16302-some-2010-mac-owners-can-get-more-ram-than-they-thought

5. loby thread starter macrumors 6502a

loby

I heard that the Samsung 850 had issues with Trimforce and was why I stayed away from it. That was my first choice for an SSD. Anyone know better?

As far as RAM, the reason why I hesitated going with something other than OWC is because they "Say" it works with the model, and their RAM's selling point is that it specifically works with the model, so it should work in theory. OWC claims that the limit of 8 GB of RAM in my specific model can be extended to 16 GB due to the latest EMI firmware instead of the 8 GB limit stated by Apple (as another threader kindly linked in this discussion too).

I have thought about cheaper RAM but do not know much about this brand that also claims to work with the 13" macbookbook pro 2010: Mushkin has 16 GB RAM for $79 and states it will work. Does anyone know or has put Mushkin RAM in and works? Of course I would rather pay for the cheaper RAM options, but RAM sellers have not said they tested it in the model besides OWC. I read on Crucial's site that Crucial states 16 GB RAM will work in the model, but will not say their RAM will work or show an option for purchase.

The reason I am a little over concerned is that I currently work outside the U.S. And will go back to Cali for a few weeks. During my stay, I will upgrade my MacBook and then leave for work again to JAPAN. If I have issues with the RAM it will make it difficult to send back etc. while gone.

Thanks everyone so far for the help. Appreciate any more advice!

6. c8rlo macrumors 6502

c8rlo

OP

i have the same Mid 2010 but the 2.4GHZ and running Yosemite w/8GB RAM & 256gb Crucial SSD. 1066 MHz DDR3 SDRAM (PC3-8500) is the specific RAM to properly run 16GB.

check Newegg daily as they have sales on SSDs' for under $90.

def worth the upgrades, my MBP runs smooth with no hiccups and boots within 15-20 secs. i'll have PS open along with Email, Word, Chrome(multiple tabs) and it runs fine...

7. loby thread starter macrumors 6502a

loby

Thanks for everyone's assistance.

I went with the Samsung EVO 850 250GB SSD for $89.99 and for RAM: Mushkin 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-8500 SODIMM 1066 MHz for $79.99. Mushkin advertise that this RAM works with the 2010 MacBook Pro 7,1

Here is the link for the RAM if anyone is interested: http://m.ramexperts.com/item/32303030.

I was mistaken about the issue with Trimforce with the Samsung EVO 850 series, it was not the EVO series that possibly had issues, it was the EVO 840 series that I read that was in questioned but not sure if It was true or not. I also read that there may have been a firmware update for the EVO 840 series to resolve the issue! But again not sure. I did not find searching around any issues with the EVO 850 series on the internet concerning issues with Trimforce.

8. c8rlo macrumors 6502

c8rlo

keep us posted when you get everything installed, also i had to do a PRAM reset after i installed my SSD cause it was booting slow on the first initial startup; you may/may not have this issue once you install your SSD.