Is 1300 a good price for a used MBA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Noobee, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Noobee macrumors newbie

Its been a struggle waiting for the new MBA, between waiting for it or just going ahead and buying the current model.....
    buy a refurbished or wait for the new model then buy a current model refurb?
    betweeen ebay and craigslist and and apple store and the refurb site.......

some people are asking crazy prices for this machine,
    more then the refurb site.....

well i set my android craigslist to notify me when a macbok air add is posted, so bleh blah blauh.....

and I gave in and ended up with a current model (late 2010) 13inch 2.13Ghz,
    4Gb ram, 256 SSD with iWork Aperture 3 Bento 4 Microsoft Office and 10 other apps I dont even undetstand.

some of theses apps are asking me for a Reg number and some work fine.

I have two questions guys

1-can i reformatt the MBA yet keep the cool Apps?
    2-is this bundle worth 1300 USD? or should I have waited? I only use it for web surfing and music and such.

thanks guys!

2. simsaladimbamba

1. If you have the installation files, yes. If not, you could clone the MBA's SSD to n external HDD via CarbonCopyCloner and then clean install Mac OS X and then use the Migration Assistant to migrate the applications from the clone.
    Links to all the nice steps at the end of this post.

2. For you usage a 2007 MacBook would have sufficed, thus the MBA you chose will be okay for your computational needs. If 1300USD is a fair price, I don't know, as you didn't tell use, if you got the licenses to the applications you mentioned.

To create a Clean Install (formerly known as Erase & Install) of Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, follow one of the following guides:
    Short version: Clean Install of OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard
    Long version: Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard: How to Erase and Install

"How to maximise your MacRumors troubleshooting experience" created by mad jew in 2006
    To edit your thread title, just click on the [​IMG] button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the [​IMG] button below your message.​

3. Noobee thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the reply and the links,

the guy showed me the bill, its 10 days old in perfect condition.
    No he didnt give me the license number for half the software.
    So i guess its useless. I'll email him about it and see if he replies.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you're not getting the license numbers or discs then you don't have legal rights to use the applications.

Currently a there's refurb MBA's being sold on apple for 1489 and under. whether you think 1300 for the MBA is worth it is up to you. I'd rather pay the extra 189 and get the warranty.

5. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Yeah if he didn't give you the liscense number you can't use it at all. For the rest if he didn't give you installation media you are technically violating the EULA, you probably wont get caught though.

6. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Agreed.

Plus the buying experience is usually better, and you have the entire company to back you up if you have issues with your system.

Apple Refurbished items have the same Warranty as a new item, and are eligible for Applecare extended warranties.

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

And if you wait a few weeks for the update, the refurb prices will be even lower.

8. Noobee thread starter macrumors newbie

yes I just checked the apple site,
    1489+tax=1580$ with warranty

1580$ with warranty vs 1300$ NO warranty.
    So basically I'm crossing my fingers here, But I dont think apple products are known to fail.

Can I but wannanty for it now? after the fact?
    I thought it was transferable for the first year?

well, thanks for all the replies guys, I'm still waiting on his email reply about the licenses and reg numbers.

9. duky macrumors 6502

I may by missing something but why does the $1300 one have no warranty? Did you not say it is 10 days old? That would mean it still has its warranty intact regardless of who the owner is. I'm confused?

10. macjonny1 macrumors 6502a

macjonny1

Funny I was thinking the same thing. The MBA has a warranty a year from purchase, and can be extended to 3 years with Applecare. The warranty on refurbs is the same. You can verify on apple's website with your serial number when the warranty ends.

The apps are likely pirated and no you won't get caught.

$1300 is a good price for that laptop. That is basically a 13" highest spec MBA. I have recently purchased a used 13" and 11" MBA due to the high amount of used on the market now for great deals. Also I have no need for the new SB MBA as I have a 17" 2011 MBP if I need anything powerful. Anyway, I know the market for used very well, and $1300 for what you got is a very good price. Enjoy it!

11. Noobee thread starter macrumors newbie

thats what i thought, but Maflynn said " I'd rather pay the extra 189 and get the warranty"

So i dont know.

12. simsaladimbamba

Hmm, maybe Maflynn was confusing something, as the refurb model he mentioned, does not have any additional warranty like the ACPP, just the standard one year warranty, the same warranty yours has.
    You can still purchase the ACPP anytime within the first year of the original purchase (when it was bought by the seller your bought it from).

AppleCare Protection Plan for Mac or Apple Display
    AppleCare Protection Plan

13. Roman2K~ macrumors 6502a

Wow, $1300 is an excellent bargain!

I have looked for days (same specs) to find the best deal -- that could be shipped to France, so a bit harder -- and never encountered such a low price.

I bought mine a few days ago, $1650 used (top condition though), originally bought in January 2011. And that was about the best price among those that shipped to my country, where I would have paid at least $1900 used, or $2160 refurb, and would have got an AZERTY keyboard...

Go for it ;).

14. jdechko macrumors 68040

I think $1300 is a pretty good price for an ultimate 13" Air.

As a rule of thumb, however, I'll never think of included software or media as a good thing because it's likely pirated (unless the seller explicitly states that the discs and serials are included). I always find it funny when the seller states the value of the extra software.

15. calvol macrumors 6502a

That's a good price, especially with all the free apps. Anything lower would be perhaps cosmetically damaged.

16. Minhthien macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

I also think that is a really good price! I was gonna tell you to wait for the refresh one but the task you do this is more than perfect!

17. Noobee thread starter macrumors newbie

thnaks for all the replies guys,
    Its a great machine,
    the seller sent me the serials numbers and all is well.

18. dmk1974 macrumors 68000

dmk1974

I just bought the same machine on ebay tonight. Obviously I'm buying after the refresh vs before like the OP did, but I got it for $1015 shipped and it comes with AppleCare til 2013. Really looking forward to it! I know the processor is "only" a 2.13 C2D, but I think this MBA will be better than my 2011 13" i5 2.3 MBP.

19. skier777 macrumors 6502

Id pay 1600 for a brand new 2011 model with 256gb ssd.
    it has a warrantee, its new, its twice as fast and will last you a fair bit longer, it has TB and the other 2011 stuff which will add value to the resale price in the future.