Is $139 a good price for Apple Care iMac 27" 2011?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Dr Strangelove, May 12, 2011.

1. Dr Strangelove macrumors regular

As thread title? Thoughts on this, should I just pull the trigger with my purchase?

2. I AM THE MAN macrumors 6502

YES! To me, the ONLY answer is yes. When you make an investment on a computer that costs more than a $1,000, spending an extra $140 on a 3 year warrenty is ALWAYS a plus. From experience, my iPod Touch 1st generation died on me every other month, and for me to replace it (if I did not have the Apple Care) would cost soo much money! Thankfully, Apple sent the boxes and covered everything without costing me a single penny.

I would recommend it.

3. Jazwire macrumors 6502a

Jazwire

4. doxavita macrumors 6502a

From their Configure 27" iMac page, under "Learn More" for their Apple Protection Plan:

Important Notes
    The AppleCare Protection Plan can be purchased only while your Mac is still covered under the standard one-year limited warranty.

http://store.apple.com/us/configure/MC814LL/A?mco=MjIwNTQ2NzM

Is this true? So I don't HAVE to get AppleCare at the moment I buy my iMac, but have up to a year to decide if I want to buy it?

Kind of tight on budget hehe.

5. martinm0 macrumors 6502a

Correct. You have until the end of your one year warranty to purchase AppleCare.

6. doxavita macrumors 6502a

Even if I have an issue with the iMac BEFORE I buy it?

7. harcosparky macrumors 68020

You have until the end of your one year warranty.

However - if I am not mistaken, unless it has changed Phone Support ends at 90 days from date of purchase.

You have full phone support as long as it is covered by Apple Care so .....

Without Apple Care ......

Ninety Days Phone Support/One Year Warranty

With Apple Care ......
    Three Years Warranty
    Three Years Phone Support

Originally you asked if $139 is a good price.

I will only say, you'd be crazy not to get it.

As for pricing, you could PM me for my opinion! ;)

I took my iMac in, when it was 2 1/2 years old. Cost me nothing for the fix, I had Apple Care. Without Apple Care the fix would have cost me around $1300.00 USD.

8. harcosparky macrumors 68020

Just buy the Apple Care and register it before you take the unit in!

9. djrobsd macrumors 6502a

It's $163.17 on Amazon. ;)

This leads me to another question though. Seems kind of unfair to me that Apple prices the Applecare for a $2000 dollar iMac the same as the $1000 dollar iMac, but on the Macbook Pro, the 15 inch costs most then the 13 inch AppleCare. In fact, for my $1799 Macbook pro, it's going to cost me $350 for AppleCare, but yet for a $2000 imac, only $160?

I suppose one could infer that Apple charges more for laptop apple care because laptops get moved around and beat up so they are more likely to break.. ;)

10. harcosparky macrumors 68020

Think of Apple Care as an Insurance Policy, and Apple is the Insurance Company.

Why does it cost more to insure a Sport Bike than it does a Cruiser Motorcycle?

Bingo, you answered you own question. The risk is higher with a laptop, then it is for a desktop.

I'm getting ready to pick up a new 27" from the Apple Store with two 'options.'

27" 3.1 I5 - $1899.00
    8 GB Ram - $180
    Apple Care - $119

Total Package - $2198 ( Education Pricing )

11. TJRiver macrumors 6502

TJRiver

Shop around for Applecare, prices can vary. DO NOT buy Applecare on eBay. Additionally, if you know there are other legitimate prices, they will discount at the Apple Store. I saved $60 on the Applecare for my Macbook with a matching discount they gave me at the Apple Store.:D

12. doxavita macrumors 6502a

And when the 3 years of AppleCare get close to expiring, I can just buy it again?

13. rnb2 macrumors regular

No, the warranty can't be extended past 3 years via Apple - there may be 3rd party warranties available.

The best prices I've seen from a reputable dealer for AppleCare are at B & H Photo/Video in NYC - the iMac AppleCare package is here.

14. fanspeed macrumors member

learned my lesson

When I bought a mac-mini I didn't get apple care and lo and behold had a problem with the optical drive after the 1 year warranty expired and the cost for apple to repair it was just to much for me. So when I got my Alum Imac mid 2007 model, I got the Apple care plan. if your short on cash after you buy your mac just make sure you get the Plan before the year is up. Good luck

15. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

Considering the cost of a 2011 27" iMac, $139 for Apple Care is a good deal.

16. Dr Strangelove thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys, I figured it was a good deal @ $139.00 and will pull the trigger when I purchase my Mac in a week.

17. jduffy macrumors member

Are there certain Applecare product numbers that "go with" various systems? In other words, is there a specific Applecare product for each specific Apple Mac?

I noticed on Amazon there is a Applecare product old version and one that says newest version. Even going to B&H which seems to have the best prices, I want to make sure I order the correct Applecare products. I have two of the latest Mac Mini systems and just got the newest 21.5" iMac.

Thanks,

Duffy

18. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I always buy my Applecare from L.A. Computer.

The iMac Applecare is currently $120.

It is the retail, shrink-wrapped box directly from Apple and including the Tech Tool CD.

I would agree never to buy Applecare from eBay.

19. TxTortoise macrumors newbie