Is 15% battery too much to loose overnight?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by spidersonboats, Nov 11, 2011.

1. spidersonboats macrumors newbie

2011 MBP, bought in August.

When I close the lid and let it sleep over night, I have 15% less juice the next morning.

This sounds like ALOT to me...normal or not?

2. refurbished macrumors member

That is a lot. It should be around 1% every hour. So unless you slept for 15 hours that sounds like a little bit too much.

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

The MBP drains roughly 1 to 1.5% per hour of sleep, so it really depends on how long your "overnight" is.

4. rainking macrumors regular

Also is that from 100% or from 30%? Would that make a difference?

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

It shouldn't, theoretically, make any difference from what % charge the OP is starting.

6. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

But this is not theory, strange things happen in real life.

I'm no battery expert, but ideal situations rarely hold true irl.

7. spidersonboats thread starter macrumors newbie

It lost 15% last night, from the time I closed the lid to re-opening it today.

It had 85% charge when it started.

I will test again tonight with all programs closed.

Any other possible sources of drain?

8. refurbished macrumors member

Any bluetooth devices connected to your computer? That might be it. Not sure though.

9. Kendo macrumors 68000

Turning off Siri Raise to Speak and everything in System Services in Location Services gives me less than a 1% drain every hour.

10. refurbished macrumors member

What are you talking about? Haha!

11. spidersonboats thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I have a bluetooth mouse...I usually turn off the mouse itself, but not the bluetooth in the MBP.

Turning things off sort of defeats the purpose of simply 'going to sleep' :)

None of this is critical obviously, but more curious.

After doing some research today, I have realized that the Mac Mail program is consistently eating 6-9% of CPU when running. I should have posted that in the initial post, but assuming its not really 'stopping' when I close the lid.

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's normal to use about 1% battery charge per hour of sleep. If it's much beyond that, it's possible your Mac didn't stay in sleep mode all night.

Mac OS X: Why your Mac might not sleep or stay in sleep mode
    Determine why your Mac wakes up from sleep

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

13. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

14. Warbitrary macrumors regular

The RAM needs constant power to retain its content. I imagine if you have 8GB instead of 4GB, battery drain is greater.

BTW, if the computer is asleep, the CPU is always off, so Mail can't drain your battery by using CPU.

15. Kendo macrumors 68000

Haha. I thought I was in the iPhone forum!

I was wondering why you didn't understand my post. :D

16. Peter Franks macrumors 65816

Don't know why you leave it on if you're going to sleep.... save the battery and turn it off?!

17. Rhyalus macrumors 6502

Rhyalus

I lose 1% per hour with 8 GB of RAM.

Has anyone seen the opposite, with NO loss in the morning? It is weird, and it may have something to do with the normal variation on "health" and what it considers a full charge.

R

18. vistadude macrumors 65816

I'm recently seeing 15% loss of battery overnight. Before I used to lose only 1-2% battery overnight. I don't think it has to do with my battery's age because I still get about 6 hours battery life on my macbook, just the same when I bought it new 2 years ago.

The difference is that my snow leopard has been the latest version for several months now and before it was probably on .3 version for a long time. I've had 8 GB ram almost since I bought the notebook, so RAM doesn't seem to be contributing. It seems more likely that new versions of snow leopard are hurting the battery even when sleeping.

19. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, they're not. For sleep issues, you may find some useful ideas here:

20. vistadude macrumors 65816

What else could it be? Nothing provided in those links applies to my notebook. I have everything like bluetooth and sharing disabled, and no peripherals connected. I am manually starting sleep from the apple menu, i'm not letting mac os fall asleep from inactivity. I also have all programs quitted before going into sleep.

21. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Did you follow the instructions in the third link? How many hours are you considering to be "overnight"?

22. vistadude macrumors 65816

Yeah, it only reports Lid opening as the reason it is waking up from sleep, and indeed all the times it lists lid opens are when I physically lift the lid.

I consider 8-15 hours overnight (sometimes I open the lid at the end of the work day). It doesn't matter if I open it up 8 hours after lasting using the mac or 15 hours later, it's always around 15% loss.

23. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

I have no battery related issues running 10.6.8 Snow Leopard. I get about 7 hours when browsing on a full charge and lose about 1% of a charge per hour when the computer is in sleep mode. The battery is about 2 years old.

It's not the operating system.

24. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If it's around 15 hours later, 15% would be about right. It's not exactly 1% per hour of sleep, but in that neighborhood.

25. Textureboy macrumors 6502

Textureboy

It seems like a lot to me. My rMBP can be put to sleep for the whole night and not lose 1%...