Is 15 gigs enough for XP?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by atljogger, Jul 15, 2008.

1. atljogger macrumors member

I need to install XP Pro SP2 on my MB pro with Boot Camp. Will 15GB's give me enough space to run Windows without getting bogged down? I need XP for Office 2007 as well as some various business software applications. Also need to install virus software, spyware protector, and Firefox. No gaming.

Thanks,
    J

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

windows XP SP1+SP2+SP3=2.5G
    Firefox=0.05G
    Office 2007=1.5G
    System running space=1G
    extra safety=2G

Total=7G

Give it 10G should be more than enough for you

Sure if you have a large HDD, 15G is perfectly reasonable.

3. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

you might want to use the default 32gb that bootcamp suggests, seems like you are going to be pretty active on windows. I just used 12gb but i dont run anything on windows just have it there just in case i need it one day. I use microsoft office and everything else on OSX. I'm actually surprised that i havent had to switch over at all since i was a windows user all my life, but so far OSX has filled and surpassed all my needs.

4. sash macrumors 6502a

sash

15 GB sounds a bit too small nowadays. If you're planning to work with large files, you'll be out of space quite soon. Your workfiles often are bigger than the system & program files.

5. atljogger thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. I am buying a copy of Windows Professional today - should I buy Service Pack 2 or 3? I don't have Windows loaded yet so wondering if anyone has had problems with a direct install of SP3 on a Macbook Pro? Again, this is primarily for use with Office 2007.

6. TSE macrumors 68030

A lot of people actually have reported about loss in 3D performance in SP3 compared to SP2, small, but still a loss. But it seems like you aren't going to do anything 3D wise so I would say either SP2 or SP3 is ok. Personally myself, I have Windows Vista Home Premium and I actually like it compared to XP, and even has a couple features that I wish were in Mac OS X. :)