Is 15" mbp comparably heavier than 13"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by harrrram, Nov 30, 2011.

1. harrrram macrumors newbie

the 15" specs say that it is about 500g heavier,

is this significant when you carry it in your bag?

there are no shops that sell mbps nearby to check it out

2. Neolithium macrumors 6502a

Neolithium

Vs the 13, it's noticeable but not really a "ZOMG WTF IS THIS A LEAD BAR!?" type difference. Especially when it's in a backpack.

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

500g is roughly a pound. Take a tall glass, add 500mL(two cups) of water to it, that's the weight differences.

4. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

Weight isn't a big difference. What can make it look and feel more cumbersome to carry around is the size.

5. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

500 additional grams is nothing for me, but it might be significant to you. So if you think a slight weight increase is important to you then you have to decide for yourself.

Get a scale and some marbles or whatever and then measure out the weight of a 13" MBP. Put that weight into your bag and carry it around for a day or two. Now add an additional 500 grams to it and carry that around for a couple of days.

6. saberahul macrumors 68040

I agree... weight is not really noticeable unless you walk with it in your hand for a mile or so. The size is the kill factor for me... it's just too big (but that is my opinion as I hate anything larger than 13.3").

7. kastorff macrumors regular

kastorff

I have to agree with those who've stated it's not the weight you notice, it's the size.

8. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

I had a 13" for six years. Just bought a 15" a couple of weeks ago.

I'm already out of college, and just move my Mac from home to work, and I must say, I don't regret getting the 15". The big screen is awesome, and if you need the extra power of the 15", it is a most welcomed addition as well.

Maybe during college things would have been different.

9. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

Here's another way of looking at it. The 13" MBP is one of the heaviest 13" laptops around whereas the 15" is one of the lightest 15" laptops. So, relatively speaking, with the 15" you have it pretty good.

500g is only noticeable in a mostly empty bag, so when stepping up from a 13", I would say it is not a big deal.

10. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Buy 1/2 a gallon of milk, and a pound of coffee or chocolate powder. Take your backpack and carry it around with just the milk and then with milk + chocolate powder. That should give you an idea.

When you're done, heat the milk, put chocolate powder in, and enjoy a hot chocolate!

The other problem is the size difference. I find the 15'' easier to handle than the 17'' model, while the weight difference is less noticeable. For this you will need some cardboard and the specs from the apple website, to build realistic mockups of the 13'' and the 15'' models.

11. saintforlife macrumors 6502a

How do you come to that conclusion? The 13" only weighs 4.5 lbs. That is still pretty light for a full fledged laptop. Don't most other Windows laptops weight 5.5-6 lbs?

12. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Most new 13'' laptops are pretty light: The macbook air, all the ultrabooks, some of the 13'' thinkpads

13. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

It simply is. Most other Windows laptops are under 4 lbs. You can look it up for yourself. Granted, the MBP is metal whereas the rest are plastic and the MBP probably has a battery equivalent to the extended option. Not knocking the MBP or anything, but it is heavier.

Dell Inspiron 13z, 3.9 lbs
    Thinkpad E320, 3.8lbs