is 16 gb memory enough or not?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by XxpikachuxX, Mar 25, 2011.

1. XxpikachuxX macrumors 6502

please tell me have any of you ran out of memory?

2. R1PPER macrumors 6502

i had a 16 gig ipad 1 and ran out of space fairly quickly. Got to the point where i really had to think about what apps to remove to put anything new on it. I had no music, movies or tv shows on there. For me 32 is a minimum.

3. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

Not for me. With crappy coded games weighing in at 500mb-1gb bigger is better.

4. XxpikachuxX thread starter macrumors 6502

on my iphone 4 16 gb i couldt even fill half of it including music pictures and apps

5. BigWalt macrumors regular

BigWalt

16 has been enough for me, I stream all my music so in only use my iPad for Web browsing and games

6. 1969cj5 macrumors member

Streaming is the way to go

7. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

That's kind of like asking whether you should buy a subcompact hybrid or a full sized pickup for your next vehicle; it depends on your needs and preferences.

If you're only using it at home on your wifi network for browsing, email and apps, then a 16gb wifi will work since you can stream the rest over your wifi connection.

If you're taking it out of the house, and want some of your stuff (music, movies and books) with you, the 32. 64 gb if you'll be away from the host computer for extended periods, will be working with large files for imovie or garage band, or want to take it all with you.

Wifi model if you'll primarily have it around your home, work, or other places that provide internet; 3G if having instant internet anywhere is a priority.

3G 32gig is a pretty good sweet spot for a whole lot of folks. And if you get something that doesn't work for you despite your best guess, you can exchange it within 14 days without a restocking fee.

8. fizzwinkus macrumors 6502a

clyde speaks the truth.

i have 16 gb of photos, 6gb of apps, and 30gb of music on my ipad - and could fill anything they would ever think of making. (my itunes library is 1.8tb)

yet 32 is probably overkill for my gf.

9. kevinbal macrumors regular

kevinbal

I had a 32gb iPad 1 and what pushed me to purchasing the 16 gb iPad 2 was the fact that as of two days ago, I only used 5gbs total.

I had no music on it (iPhone is where that is stored) and a handful of games. I'm not one that downloads every app out there, but only keep the ones that I use. I had every movie clip that I needed for one course that I teach on there, in addition to all of the keynote files for that course.

I had a bunch of pdfs in GoodReader and a handful of books in ibooks/amazon.

I don't suspect that, in the next year, I'll eclipse 16gb and so that's why I stepped down this time.

10. cbronfman macrumors 6502

I got 16GB - probably should have bought the 32GB

I chose 16GB thinking that (like others) most of my music, books, etc. are on my iPhone that's with me constantly and I have an MBA 11.6" too - and that I'd use the iPad2 in different ways. Now I have mine (for 36 hours), I'm thinking 32 GB might have been the way to go (or not).
    - First of all, realize 16GB is really 14GB once the operating system is on there.
    - Once you get a few favorite apps, photos, movies, music on there - a few more GB go and you notice them being used up. On a 32 GB you wouldn't notice it.

Still, I haven't found the way I'll be using it the most yet since I'm having so much fun with it, I'm using it a lot. I may find that my "logic" in purchasing the 16GB was solid (or not).

11. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Had the 32gb ipad 1. Loaded a bunch of movies (which I never watched), songs (which I never listened to) and pics (which I never looked at). I keep my music on my iPhone these days since it's always with me and is my iPod replacement. Everything else, including apps, books, pics and all of the docs I sync with the cloud barely takes 5gb. I still have a bunch of room to rent a few movies (and renting is what I usually do).

12. Mic2904 macrumors 6502

Since the ipad 2 is only my 2nd piece of the Apple (Iphone 4), can anyone explain a bit more about "the cloud"? Heard this plenty of times.

btw: was thinking the same about the size and I would like to think that 16GB is enough for me. Most importanty my music is on my phone, which takes 80% of my storage.

13. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

You kinda need to tell us what you are planning to keep on your device, on second thought do not tell us:eek:

14. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

www.dropbox.com = Cloud

There are others but DropBox has great prices and works corssplatform with WIndows, Apple, Blackberry, ETC!:p

We love it!

15. nightfly13 macrumors 6502a

nightfly13

+1

I argued staunchly that good data managers don't need more than 16gb if you have an iPhone etc.

I was wrong. Who knew there would be so many awesome apps and that many would be huge? My iPad 2 will be 32.

16. foodle macrumors 6502

My 64GB version is full. I would buy 128GB if they offered it. Movies, movies, and more movies.

17. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

I've almost filled up my 16gig iPad, but only because I keep a few movies on there. Now that we have Airplay, I'm in the process of re-encoding some of those movies to stream directly from iTunes - will take me back down to maybe 5 gigs used.

I mostly read books, do a lot of websurfing (Atomic browser, FTW), download and keep a small library of photos, and play games (I seriously need to get to Angry Birds anonymous...Just got them in Rio too...)

I don't really keep any music on the device - that's what my iPhone is for.

18. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yep, I use both Dropbox and Sugarsync. Which means that all my docs are synced across all of my devices that I have Dropbox and Sugarsync installed. Cloud services are one big reason why devices like the ipad are so compelling to a lot of people.

19. jtcouch macrumors member

My 16GB is half full, but I don't have all my music on there. I will step up to the 32GB on the next purchase.

20. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

It is for me. I store no music on it. Movies and no games either. Just apps from appstore.

21. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

I got a 64gb iPad 1 thinking I would need it for movies/music but ended up keeping my iPhone for music and laptops for movies

Not a big movie/iPad person.

So, I barely use 4gb-5gb if that

22. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

If you want Movies or Games go with at least 32GB.

A lot of the newer games especially ones taken advantage of the iPad 2's Hardware are going to be over a Gig a piece.

With both revisions of the iPad I went with the 32GB and I have been pretty satisfied.

23. hb13 macrumors newbie

If you have a lot of music, movies, photos, etc. then 16GB won't be enough, especially if you plan on doing some work with GarageBand or iMovie apps.

I originally bought a 16GB, but quickly returned it for a 32GB due to only having 4GB left after loading it with my music and movies. I plan on storing pictures and presentations on there for places I'm without an internet connection. I didn't want the hassle of maintenance.

Remember, 16GB really means 14GB of usable space. Apps don't take up much space, and you may not load much music on there, but if you can afford the 32GB, you won't regret it. If you run out of space on the 16GB, it's not like you can swap out hard drives for a larger one.

It's a matter of cost over maintenance. Whichever is more important, go with that.

24. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

Not trying to be a jackass, but I see people on here refering to storage as "memory" They are 2 different things. What you should say "is 16GB of storage enough" memory refers to the RAM onboard of a device. of which the iPad 2 only has 512MB of.

Anyway, just a pet peeve of mine. Sorry

25. Jinkst macrumors regular

Of course some people are going to have run out of memory. But it's all in how YOU want to use it. I had a 64GB first gen and put alot of stuff on it just for the sake of putting it on it.

But now with iOS 4.3 having Home Sharing built in, I can plug my iPad 2 into it's dock that's connected to my speaker system and just stream whatever I want from my iMac. Being that I don't play many games and use the iPad mainly for web browsing/social networking I personally don't have a need for that much storage, hence why I got a 16GB this time and saved a few hundred dollars. Also that I mainly use it at home and don't catch public transport to work I didn't really have a need for 3G. Personal Hotspot/MyWi will cover that if the need ever arises that I want to use Internet on the go/holiday.

All up it's what you need, but it may take an initial purchase to figure out if you need more or less storage or 3G or not.