Is 16GB enough for me?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by lsquare, Aug 2, 2011.

1. lsquare macrumors 6502

I'm looking to get an iPad 2 and I'm trying to figure out whether 16GB of storage space is enough for me. Basically for me, I intend to mostly use the tablet for browsing the web, pictures, e-mails, watching the occasional movies, and reading digital magazines. I intend to store no more than 4-5 movies encoded at 960x540 resolution. It'll mostly store magazines (no idea how big magazines are). Will 16GB be more than enough for me?

2. Maschil macrumors 6502a

Maschil

it should be if you try to keep the movies under 1 gig apiece, and expect about 1 to 3 gbs for apps and the rest for music..... you should be fine but you should also know that you will get about 14 gb of space in reality. i would just get the 32 gb in you can afforded so you will have alittle more wiggle room. Thats what i did.... Hope this helps.;

3. eifer macrumors regular

Personally I would strongly recommend the 32gig. 16gigs will disappear a lot faster than you expect.

4. Adam- macrumors member

I'm on a 16gig, I've got a 32gig iphone4 which I put all my music on, so I've got 216 songs, 78 apps ( mostly big apps like GTA, infinity blade, pages etc), 5 movies and 800 photos and have 3gigs free, I think that if your not gonna put much music on it will be fine! I've also got 10 or so books too.
    Hope this helps EDIT:my videos are standard 700mb ones cause I use avi player

5. AppleTech22 macrumors 6502

I'm on the 32 and I have 123 Apps, 4,387 photos, and 13 videos. I also have 374 songs which I plan on taking off after this post to add up more episodes of the office

6. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

Always get the 32 as you can't add space later. If you get the 16 and realize you need moar, you're screwed. It's worth the extra 100 to insure you don't run out.

7. palpatine macrumors 68040

save your money. get a 16 and resign yourself to shuffling things around as needed, and keeping your music on your ipod. you can only watch so many movies or books at once (1) after all.

smart use of the cloud services (dropbox, sugarsync, etc.) will ensure that everything is easily within reach, no matter where you are.

8. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

32 Gb

Is minimum I think, a friend of mine bought a 16gb model and filled the actual space (around 14gb as posted above) very quickly. You'd be surprised just how fast that amount of space will go.

There is nothing worse than worrying "Do I have enough space left" when syncing and downloading stuff.

If it's a case of waiting a while to save up, I would it's worth it in the end. I have personally managed to fill half of my 64gb model mostly photos and music videos, but I'm glad I have no space concerns.

9. iPutz macrumors member

Totally agree. I purchased the 16gb and now have less than 2 gb left. No movies or videos on it. Only some music, not as much as I'd like.

Wish I had a 32 gb instead. Oh well, the next one will be fore sure.

10. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

Keep in mind actual capacity is something like 14 GB. Remember that storage isn't upgradeable so if you are going to stick with your iPad 2 for a long while, you'd better get 32 GB.

11. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

With iCloud, you hopefully won't need as much local storage. I never put music on the iPad when I had one, because I always have my iPhone. I reserved most of the space for TV shows or apps and other media.

I would rather get a new iPad every year than have a 64Gb model and buy one every other year, the truth is I wouldn't need that much space for my iPad because I have my Macbook Pro and my iPhone.

12. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

iCloud will only help a little. For instance, music doesn't stream so you have to download it to the device. Then what happens if you need something but don't have any connection?

13. Cooolpenner macrumors regular

16gb is enough. You can store videos and music on a sd card. To watch them you'll need the camera connection kit and a jailbroken iPad.
    I'm using a 16gb iPad + 32 gb SDHC. This should be enough for videos ;)

14. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

That's ONLY if you jailbreak. So basically you're saying if you don't jailbreak, 16 isn't enough. :cool:

15. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi