Is 16GB enough space?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ClemTiger0408, Nov 12, 2011.

1. ClemTiger0408 macrumors 6502

I don't plan on putting any music on the iPad. I will put some movies - only enough for a single trip (so maybe a movie or a few episodes of something) and the apps.

Would 16GB version be enough for this? I have a 32GB iPhone where all my music would stay. I would also have some books, but I know these don't take up much space.

Photos, I don't NEED them on so if space was an issue I wouldn't keep them. Is 16GB enough?

2. bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

16gb will do ya. a typical 1:40 movie in mp4 format averages between 600mb-1000mb depending on the resolution.

3. pingfan59 macrumors member

I would say the 16gb would be enough space. Also check out the Hulu Plus app for your movie/TV show needs as it has excellent video quality and beats netflix in my opinion.

I opted for the 32gb, but I will be putting music, TV shows, pdf files, etc on it.

4. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

I have a 32GB and I am only using 18GB even though I have 3-4 movies, a few hundred songs, a few thousand pictures and all of my documents and app data. It would not be hard to keep it to 16GB if I didn't put my entire photo library on there.

5. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

Should be sufficient. Put the important things only :p. Otherwise...the extra $100 is worth 16gb :)

6. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

If you've got the cash get the bigger one so you don't need to work about space. I've ended up with 20gb of apps and documents on my 32 Gb.

7. heyloo macrumors 6502

For the purposes that you listed, I think you'd be okay with a 16GB. I picked up a 64GB and ended up filling most of them up a few times with unconverted video files (AVPlayerHD) and a few hundred apps.

I'd personally recommend a 32GB just to have some flexibility with the space, if you're able to chip in a few more bucks, however. :)

8. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

If you're going somewhere with WiFi, consider signing up to Dropbox.

50GB of space is $10/month - and you can easily sync data onto and off of your iPad over WiFi from anywhere.

So before you go on your trip, put a load of movies on Dropbox, then download them using hotel WiFi whenever you need them.

Personally I have a 32GB and I think that's the sweet spot. If you get into iPad games, some of the bigger ones can take 1GB each.

9. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

you should get 32gb, as stated above "its the sweet spot" for all iOS devices

10. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

These things cannot be upgraded. Better to have the space and not need it than to need it and not have it. Some of the newer games are over 1GB each.

Get the 64GB. Never heard anyone complain they had too much space.

11. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

12. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

Though people do complain they don't have enough money (for a higher capacity device).

13. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Reality check.

Your music library is probably already on your phone, right?

I don't find myself struggling for space, even with the 16 GB iPad.

14. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

I'm only using about half my 16GB! That's with 2,500 photos, a couple of hundred songs, half a series of a TV show, and some apps.

15. ApplesAndOrangs macrumors regular

You need to tell us how rich you are. If money is not a huge concern then obviously the more space the better.

For me it did not make economic sense to shell out $100 for space. I have better things to spend that on.