is 16GB iPad enough?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MacDaddy80, Jan 9, 2011.

1. MacDaddy80 macrumors member

I need your help guys, i plan on getting an iPad soon. I currently have 3GB of music, no movies and like 3GB of apps will 16GB be enough im thinking thats all i need?

2. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

I have a 16GB iPad with 4 GB of Music, tonnes of apps and pictures, and it still has 7GB free. Unless you're going to absolutely cram way more stuff on it, 16GB is fine.

3. MacDaddy80 thread starter macrumors member

okay cool so i have an iphone, are ipad appps much bigger?

4. CristobalHuet macrumors 65816

CristobalHuet

16GB should be enough if you pick and choose what videos you want to store wisely. Air Video is so awesome, though. :cool:

5. Zcott macrumors 68020

6. blackberrypilot macrumors 6502

I think 32 is best, but 16 should be ok. 32 is better for resale value.

7. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

16 is fine but it obviously depends your use. The 32 GB I perfect for me. I can store all of my photos, 4 or 5 movies, 6 episodes of shows, last 3 episodes of 5 different podcasts, and some of my music. I could make do with 16 GB, just less of my content. When the devicevis already very pricey I see no reason not to get 32 GB unless you know you will never use the extra space. I know I do!

8. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Depends on which apps. Most apps take very little storage, but there are some apps, especially the more fancier games, that take up nearly a gig.

9. Built macrumors 68020

Even 64GB is not enough for me. Hoping the iPad 2 comes in 128GB.

10. MacDaddy80 thread starter macrumors member

not too many gamrs like basic stuff like remote facebook netflixspeedtest weather pandora google earth and skype and like 3 games

11. bobright macrumors 601

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

How much do you guys think the 32gb iPad would go for 599? wifi only

12. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

16GB iPad plus Zumocast = perfect. No need to store music on it since it can be streamed from anywhere.

13. John Benitez macrumors member

It depends on your usage but in my point of view 16 GB is enough. You can easily save lots of data in it.

14. j_maddison macrumors 6502a

j_maddison

I have a 64Gig iPad and my brother has a 16Gig iPad. We have the same apps pretty much on both devices, he has less. I mainly have more due to the need for more apps for work purposes.

I'd say he has circa 80 apps on his device, including GPS (Navigon) which takes up quite a bit of storage. Music wise I think he has roughly a Gig or so of music.

The only time storage is a problem for him is if he wants to put three or four movies on there, one is fine, but more than a couple and he's out of storage

If you're not going to use the iPad for music and videos, you'll definitely be fine. I've switched iPads with him in the past, mainly to see how much storage I actually use when I'm not using the device for movies and music, and I had a few Gig of storage left over. I can't recall the exact amount because I did this months ago.

16Gig should be fine

15. Tonsko macrumors 6502

Tonsko

...like about 14.5Gb worth? :D

More seriously, if you don't load it with movies and dont' try to put your entire music collection on it, it should be fine.

16. alecgold macrumors 6502a

alecgold

I have 64Gb3G and am able to stuff it to the gills. It's never big enough.
    But it's stuffed with movies, tv episodes, music and other stuff.
    If you use it for surfing, mailing a bit music and a movie or what, 16Gb is plenty. Even 256 Gb would be to small if you want to.

I personally have a preference of buying the biggest version with all options because I use it from day one the first generation was released at least until the third generation. And I use it every day (and night) and have now a Zaggmate. This makes it quite a powerful device. Much more than I had anticipated at first.

So is 16Gb enough? it would be small for me, but possible. If you use it for email, internet, lots of apps and some movies or music? then it would be quite enough. My biggest app is tomtom which is around 1,6Gb, most games are between 100-350Mb, other apps are usually around 2-35Mb.

17. peterdevries macrumors 68040

peterdevries

iTunes has enough possibilities to manage the content on your ipad without it ever getting cramped. Especially with the amount of Music and Video that you say you have 16Gb should be ok.

I have a 64Gb myself and it is full, but only because I'm lazy and don't want to filter my music and determine what I want to take with me. The joke: I rarely use my iPad for music, but tha's mostly because I haven an iPhone too.

App-wise I have a lot of heavy apps such as Infinity Blade and Rage HD. These games take up a lot of space, but they are also the games that you would want to have on your iPad if you are into gaming.

A lot of words to say simply this: 16Gb is enough for day to day purposes when you can sync regularly and pick what you need. If you go on trips regularly and need lots of video and apps, I would go for a 32Gb.

18. jamin100 macrumors 6502

I have the 16GB and 40Gb of music on itunes BUT zumocast or StreamToMe solve this problem

I can stream all the content either over wifi OR over the internet when i'm not at home!

no brainer!

19. sim667 macrumors 65816

I have a 16gb one with 120 GB of music and 80 GB of films

I use zumocast to stream my media anywhere i have a wifi connection...... I believe it works on 3g too ;)

20. obamtl macrumors regular

If you can afford the difference in price, I'd strongly recommend you go up to 32 GB. I bought 16 gb on launch day and returned it. If you have movies on there for say a long road trip, you'd really struggle.

I'm not particularly heavy on media. I do however still have:

6.9 GB of audio
    19.2 GB of video
    0.34 GB of photos
    3.4 GB of apps
    0.08 GB of books
    0.55 GB of other
    28.9 GB free

The sweet spot is 32 GB. I found, after switching to 64 GB that it was a little excessive for my usage.

21. hans1972 macrumors regular

I have 200 applications on my iPad taking up about 7.7Gb of storage. That makes the average application about 40Mb in size.

I have a wide array of apps including some heavy games.