Is 16gb RAM overkill? - Mid 2012 13" Non-retina MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by metaxidis, Sep 24, 2012.

1. metaxidis macrumors newbie

I bought Corsair Vengeance (CMSX16GX3M2A1600C10) last month for my 13" MBP

It's been running great alongside my intel sata 3 SSD. SUper fast

Logic runs better than it did under heavy loads on my i7 2010 macbook pro

BUT is it overkill? Would 4gb DIMMs run faster than 8gb ones?

I use Mac for Music production, occasional Video editing and as an Media center for my Home Theater

Any opinions would be appreciated

2. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

For how cheap it is, I don't think so at all. If its not in your budget then just get an 8gb dimm for now and another later on.

3. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

4. metaxidis thread starter macrumors newbie

Budget is good for now :)

So there's no way you can realistically max out 16 GB of Ram? (just asking out of curiosity)

5. that1guyy macrumors 6502

He meant if you have to ask if you need 16GB, you don't need it. Most people who use and upgrade to 16GB RAM are experiencing limitations with their current configuration and know the tasks they are doing requires that additional RAM.

6. metaxidis thread starter macrumors newbie

Gotcha.. Thanks. I guess since I AM putting my machine under a lot of stress, having it future proof on the RAM side cant hurt

7. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

That's one of the most non-sense advise I've seen. You need it when you are running out of ram. You don't need it because it's cheap.

If you buy things that's in your budget then you will be buying lots of things you don't need.

If you wait longer then it will be even cheaper.

8. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Thanks.

It can't hurt, but you really don't need to worry too much about future proofing an expandable laptop. Upgrade it as necessary in the future.

9. BlueBull74 macrumors newbie

Installed 16 GB of 1600MHz OWC RAM into my end 2011 15" MBP last night.

Definitely worth it for me, no more lags when opening the huge files from in iPhoto and Aperture (from my 36mp DSLR) and when concurrently running Windows software in Parellels 8.

Was on 8GB 1333MHz RAM before that.

10. Santabean2000 macrumors 68000

Santabean2000

As a rule, more is better. It will only hurt your bank balance, not your computer.
    I like knowing my machine is maxed, then I just use it without ever having to monitor too closely.

11. metaxidis thread starter macrumors newbie

ditto ;)

12. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Until fairly recently, you had to pay an exorbitant amount to max out the ram on a computer...in some cases, it could cost more than the cost of the mac itself!

True, unless you're doing a lot of intensive work on demanding programs or using multiple VM's, you probably won't truly need more than 8 gigs. But for less than $100 to go all the way up to 16 gigs, why the hell not? The cost difference between 8 and 16 gigs is what, a dinner and a movie for two?

13. hellfire88 macrumors 6502

Exactly, for the price difference between an 8GB (2x4GB sticks) kit and 16GB (2x8GB sticks) kit being just a dinner or 2 eating out, might as well just eat at home one or two more times and max out your RAM and not worry about "not having enough memory" in the future :)

14. metaxidis thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll cook for y'all and we can chat about our maxed out macbooks ;) lol

15. Phrygian macrumors regular

pretty much this

16. MrMacBookPro macrumors 6502

I'll be ordering the 8GB chips from Crucial... A small investment for more space and greater speeds... :D

17. cnymike, Sep 25, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2012

cnymike macrumors newbie

I thought that the specs for the 13" mid-2012 MBP say that 8GB is the maximum supported RAM?

I know that people are putting in 16GB and apparently the computer runs, but is it really utilizing all that RAM?

If Apple isn't selling 16GB as an option, thus not making more money, why would they not do that unless there was a technical reason? Seriously, Apple is about making money on high-margin tech... if they could sell 16GB of RAM as an upgrade for the 13" MBP, they would don't you think. I do.

Just because the computer will accept 16GB RAM and start up doesn't mean that the RAM is actually being utilized fully.

I wonder if someone has done any benchmarks using 16GB of RAM? I'd sure want to see proof that it's all being utilized and that it provides a measurable improvement of some sort in performance.

18. xxcysxx macrumors 6502

I got 16 gigs in mine. I got two win 7 running at the same time, I encode movies (hd) on one os, download on another os, and reading several PDFs on OSx, browsing safari, reading keynote, eclipse running, and I have about 3 gigs left. I couldn't imagine how am I going to get around on 8 gig.
    All that in a 13 inch MacBook Pro