Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
why do people always ask how to spend their money around here?

give your current scenerio and ask if more RAM would benefit you, thats a real question that can be asnswer by people with knowledge on the subject, if you need to be told how to spend you money than your in biger trouble than low RAM

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
why do people always ask how to spend their money around here?

give your current scenerio and ask if more RAM would benefit you, thats a real question that can be asnswer by people with knowledge on the subject, if you need to be told how to spend you money than your in biger trouble than low RAM

Isn't that what pretty much everyone, the OP included, are doing?

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
Isn't that what pretty much everyone, the OP included, are doing?

No the OP does not say what he currently has, he left room to assume he has 4 but I dont assume, he did not say why he thinks he is running out of RAM, no mention of page outs, no mention of anything this current set up is telling him he needs more RAM. He is essentially asking if that price is worth it for 16GB kits.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
No the OP does not say what he currently has, he left room to assume he has 4 but I dont assume, he did not say why he thinks he is running out of RAM, no mention of page outs, no mention of anything this current set up is telling him he needs more RAM. He is essentially asking if that price is worth it for 16GB kits.

He's asking what the difference in performance will be in a couple of specific games using 16 GB instead of 8 GB, and if the difference is worth the extra money he needs to put out. The only info really lacking is which MBP he has.

Vinsanity93

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2010
I have the 2011 MBP 2.2GHz i7 with 4GB RAM. My page outs say 75MB but I'm only using mail and safari right now. I'm running 10.8.1 and I use iStatPro to determine memory usage most of the time. I notice programs run slow when the free memory is less than 200MB, even if there is only 1 program that I am running.

I just checked crucial's prices for the 16GB pack, its less than $100 so Ill probably get that since its only $50 more than the 8GB. Can't believe the prices went down so fast, but I'm not complaining :D

stevelam

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2010
sorry buddy but more ram isn't going to give you any real increase in game performance.

Handsome Bacon

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2012
Bought a base 15" cMBP yesterday, cracked it open and installed an SSD. Ordered 16GB of RAM from Newegg and now waiting for that. I am a music producer and have a studio Windows 7 PC that has 32GB of RAM installed. I have rarely gotten past 10GB of usage...BUT intend to use my MBP the same way. 16GB makes sense and it's now like $100 to put that much RAM in. Seems like it's a no brainer. I can imagine in a few years 16GB will seem small just like 4GB does now.

ieani

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2006
the states for now
I upgraded to 16GB and am very happy I did. I am in a normal use session now (Chrome, iTunes, Mail, iCal, Papers, iMessage, iPhoto, Papers, Stickies, Notes, and Steam[downloading in background]) and have 7.3GB in Free and Inactive.

Thats still quite a lot, and 8GB would have been fine(lower inactive) but its still close and by no means is 16GB overkill.

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
sorry buddy but more ram isn't going to give you any real increase in game performance.

Well... not knowing the game or his exact configuration, you could be right or you could be way off. If he barely has enough RAM available for a RAM intensive game, it could make a world of difference.

However, more RAM is ALWAYS better, period.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.