Is 17 inch MBP that much better than 15 for video editing?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Belfast Boy, Nov 21, 2009.

1. Belfast Boy macrumors newbie

Hi all, brand new user here. I have an imac but I'm off to Argentina next month and need to edit on Final Cut and upload web videos. I need to get a MBP but I'm not sure whether to go for 15 or 17 inch. I note from previous comments that most people are happy enough with 15 inch but one user said 17 was worth it for video editing. All thoughts welcome, thank you.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

The stock specs on the 17" are better, obviously without upgrading the base models of both the 17" is going to be better. If you want to link to that thread it might be more helpful. The extra screen real estate is always a good thing.

3. deathbyfugu macrumors newbie

The real difference is going to be the screen real-estate and quality available on the 17". The screen is larger, marginally brighter, has better color gamut, and more than the full resolution on 1080p video. In other words, yes - it is much better for video editing.

4. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Depending on the type of video editing, then absolutely.

Regardless though, more screen real estate can simply mean more and faster productivity.

5. Belfast Boy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you

This is a great help, thank you. The editing will be mainly from sports events and I see myself using the MBP to edit short clips from the venue so that I can upload quickly to the web. For example, I was at a game a while back where there was great drama at the end, but I couldn't upload until I got home to my imac. With the MBP I can get it up there quicker, and I can still edit longer packages when I get back to base. I usually edit pieces between 1-3 minutes for the web and upload in HD. The verdict seems to be that people are happy with the 15 for use as a laptop but for video editing, the 17 definitely has advantages. It costs a fair bit more but it should be worth it in the long run.

6. pullfocus macrumors 65816

pullfocus

Spec-wise, I believe, if you go with the mid-range or high end 15", you'll be fine but, like others have said, the screen real estate is where you'll notice significant difference.
    Being a filmmaker myself, I use the 15", solely for the fact that I prefer slighly more portability to the larger screen, and I am willing to make that trade off.
    But in having the 15" 2.66/9600M GT with 256MB VRAM, I have no issues when running the Final Cut Studio Suite.

Just my 2¢.

7. Mintin8 macrumors 6502a

Mintin8

Is portability a concern of yours? That may be a factor that you have to think about. Will there be plenty of room for your 17inch at sporting events?

8. Belfast Boy thread starter macrumors newbie

Portability isn't a problem in that sense. I won't be in a crowded press box jostling for position. I actually film during the games and then afterwards I just find an area where I can load the footage into the MBP, edit and upload. I should also say that I will sometimes use the MBP to showcase what I do to prospective clients, so the bigger size would be better for that, or I could just lug the imac around the place, not!

9. deathbyfugu macrumors newbie

Well then having the bigger screen and the expandability of the Expresscard/34 slot may be of use to you at some point should you desire eSATA or Expresscard based camcorder SSD transfers for digital video.

10. pullfocus macrumors 65816

pullfocus

Just go with your preference in regards to the 15 vs 17 and their relative screen size. But be sure, if you decide on the 15, to at least get the discrete GPU. You may not always need it, but in certain situations, you might.

Either way, you can't lose.

11. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

I think that this is a case where you really have to decide for yourself. I was in your shoes and I need the express card slot as my camerarecordsto that media. And then (stupid) apple drops the slot and I decide to buy the 17" to get the slot and a full HD screen. But when I get to the shop i realize that the 17" is just too big for my purposes. I travel a lot and the size was just too big. So I bought the last gen15" because it had the express card slot and not the useless sd.
    Saying all this, when I edit at base I use a mp witha 28" + 22" screen and going back to the mbp to edit takes some getting used to as everything seems soooo smal. Try to go to a shop andcompare the 2.
    If you don't have to lug if around toonuch the17" will probably be the best. It costs s good bit more though

12. waywardsage macrumors 6502

waywardsage

Considering i have a 17" and do professional video editing, yes it is. But even 17" isn't enough space to edit. You'll find yourself quickly getting an external 20+" monitor soon enough.

Plus, the 17" has the express card slot, that allows you to plug in an ESATA card, which helps speed up external hard drives so you can edit HD video.

13. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

In terms of power, the base 17" and the high end 15" can't be that much different... Though screen space is a biggie, and that can't be changed by the specs...:(

14. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

They aren't any different, besides the screen size, battery life (1 hour for the 17") and SD vs. Expresscard.

15. Belfast Boy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you

Ok everyone, the big decision is made... drum roll please... it's... the 17 inch! I just think it'll be that bit better for video editing and that it'll be worth the extra expense in the long run. Thank you all for your contributions. There's one more small decision to be made - glossy or anti-glare. Now I know this is debated elsewhere but can I just ask for specific replies about which is better for video editing? Thanks again.

16. yayitsezekiel macrumors 6502a

yayitsezekiel

nice choice! i love my 17 inch for hd editing...works like a charm. are you going to be working outdoors mostly or indoors? I have a glossy screen and it doesn't bother me.

17. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

18. Belfast Boy thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh great, one vote each! I don't think I'll be working much on the MBP outdoors, just at different locations indoors.

19. iBeard macrumors regular

I edit on my 15" MBP, but usually only rough cuts.
    For the serious work I hop on my Mac Pro w/ the 24" Dell LCD.

20. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

I edit full HD in iMovie on my 13", couldn't ask for more =\