Is 1gb LTE data enough for iPhone 5 contract?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by hulk2012, Dec 12, 2012.

1. hulk2012 macrumors 6502

Hi everyone. I am thinking of switching my 6 months t-mobile iPhone 4S with unlimited data to brand new iPhone 5 on 1gb LTE plan. Not sure of 1gb data will be enough but been advised that cos it's LTE I should be fine. So far I consume 2 gb of 3G data.

Any advice folks?

2. hunterheath33 macrumors regular

If you use 2GB on 3G then expect to use ATLEAST 2GB on LTE. If not 2GB you will use more like maybe 4GB or 3GB because you will do more stuff over the network because its faster and might even outpace your home Internet. Who told you that you would use LESS data over LTE?

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Ask yourself that.
    If you consume like you said twice that amount with your 4S you will need to do a lot of cutting down on your carrier data usage to stretch out the whole month to 1GB only.
    And also figure out the overage charges and see how much it can cost you if you go over your limit.

4. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

I agree with both of the above.

You should expect to use more with LTE. Considering that, you'll need to significantly reduce your current cellular data usage in order to not exceed 1 GB.

EDIT: Simple answer, no, 1 GB is not enough.

5. hulk2012 thread starter macrumors 6502

Who told me that? One of the t-mobile 'Filipino' customer service advisor who clearly didn't know what is talking about. Asked few times to confirm and got the same answer:you will be fine cos its LTE...

6. hunterheath33 macrumors regular

Nope. LTE will cause you to use more data because its faster. Good thing you didn't already buy the phone on contract without checking here first. :)

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol:D
    That rep was clueless.
    You can and probably will consume more data since your speeds will be a lot higher than 3G data and will stream better and higher quality content and webpages will be delivered faster thus giving you a chance to use/browse more and waiting less for your data to be send or received.

8. hulk2012 thread starter macrumors 6502

@applejuiced They just mislead you so your bill get you *******