Is 1TB + 250SSD enough space?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by eggie87, Dec 4, 2011.

1. eggie87 macrumors newbie

I originally wanted the 2tb + SSD but it's a 2 month delay. I currently use a mac book pro and have about 200 gigs used. Do you think 1 TB will be enough space?

2. simsaladimbamba

What do you think?

If you current usage pattern concerning your computational needs doesn't change dramatically, 1 TB for data storage will be more than fine.

3. eggie87 thread starter macrumors newbie

It may be enough room but I kind of resent the idea of buying something I don't really want just because of Apple's delay. I don't want to find in 2 years that I'm at 900 gigs and have to buy an external that is super slow. I'm surprised that Apple hasn't released any kind of apology or statement regarding the delay.

4. simsaladimbamba

Apology? It is not their fault. Anyway, an external FW800 HDD is more than fast enough for storing data, and if you don't move GBs of data every hour, than that is more than enough, FW800 is fast enough to play 50 HD movies at the same time, if the HD movies use H.264 and are using the .mkv container or similar.

Therefore, an external HDD will not be super slow, the internal offers 100 MB/s, an external HDD offers from 35 MB/s (USB 2.0) to 70 MB/s (FW800) and if you have a Thunderbolt device, it will be as fast as the internal HDD.

5. eggie87 thread starter macrumors newbie

cheers. what a great answer!!! But an extra 1gig internal is like 150 bucks whereas a thunderbolt HDD is around 450?

6. Sandman1969 macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

No one can answer your storage needs but yourself.

How long did it take you to get 200GB? How much is that your data and how much is that applications?

7. N0ddie macrumors 6502

N0ddie

I had this dilema a month and a half ago when we ordered our 27" iMac. In the end we went for the 256Gb SSD + 1TB HDD.

I opted for 1TB as opposed to 2TB as I'll be looking at investing in some thunderbolt storage to store all my photos, music, movies etc once we get close to filling the 1TB and like the posts above say, Thunderbolt will be lightening fast and you wont notice that your reading off an external drive.

8. swmr macrumors regular

swmr

Hey I went for the 2TB iMac (before delays, missed em by a day)

My MBP had 200gb when i bought it, and it filled up after about a year. When it failed they gave me a 250 (applecare, and they had no 200s) and I filled the extra room within a month or two.

For several months I stopped adding new music and media files. ALL my movies on stuck on external storage (which is annoying for laptops).

The point is I am always getting new music, and I need it all to be on my internal (movies, not as much). So I opt for biggest drive. You gotta figure out how fast your data storage increases. If i put system files and apps on the SSD and music on the 1TB HDD, I'd still only get 2-3 years out of it I believe; and then yea I don't wanna be stuck with stacking externals if I can avoid it.

9. Laststop macrumors newbie

if you consume a lot of media files, especially HD video files than you should definitely get the 2TB. If storing HD video is not important to you than 1TB should be enough.

10. eggie87 thread starter macrumors newbie

I agree completely. Money is not an issue (not to sound like a jerk) but it seems like much better value to me to pay 150 dollars more for an extra internal 1TB vs. paying 450 dollars for a 1TB thunderbolt drive that takes up space on my desk. This is why I am kind of angry with Apple due to the 2 month delay. There has been flooding in Thailand for several months and they don't think to switch suppliers in time?

11. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

There are no suppliers to switch to. I am not going to try and explain this supply chain. There are plenty of articles on the subject. Being angry with apple is silly.

12. eggie87, Dec 5, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2011

eggie87 thread starter macrumors newbie

Would it be possible to upgrade the HDD after? I still think the price of Thunderbolt is a ripoff...it's +150 to add an extra 1TB to the HDD, whereas it's 450 to add 1TB Lacie...No brainer.