Is 1x Burn Speed Of CD-Rs Possible?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by judakubassek, Mar 7, 2009.

1. judakubassek macrumors newbie

judakubassek

I want to burn my audio CD-Rs at 1x speed for the best results. I've just bought the LGBE06LU10 burner (because the iMac 24s cannot burn any slower than 8x speed) and updated the firmware to YE05. However, I can't force it to burn any slower than 4x. Is there any way of doing this?

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

3. judakubassek thread starter macrumors newbie

judakubassek

I've had issues with older CD players not being able to play CD-Rs recorded at 4x. I need to go slower.

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I would say it was the media, not the speed.

5. judakubassek thread starter macrumors newbie

judakubassek

I use Verbatim CD-Rs - apparently they are on the top 3 list of recordable media.

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I've had problems with Verbatim before, I use Sony and have never had issues.

7. judakubassek thread starter macrumors newbie

judakubassek

So is there no way to force a burner to slow down - no hacks or firmware flashes, or otherwise?

8. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

9. judakubassek thread starter macrumors newbie

judakubassek

10. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

No clue, possibly using something, but there are very few drives out there that even support 1x. Just because it is a slow as possible doesn't make it the highest quality. Things have improved over the years ...

11. slothrob macrumors 6502

I've had problems with Sony CD longevity. I store my disks carefully, but my 8-10 year old Sony disks are now failing (multiple production batches), but the Verbatim are still without errors.

12. judakubassek thread starter macrumors newbie

judakubassek

From my research, the only thing Sony does to their CD-Rs is add their name. The actual CD-Rs are manufactured by somebody else. Apparently, they are one of a whole lot of manufacturers who do the same thing, except for Verbatim, Taiyo Yuden, and one other one I can't recall. Those three make their own CDs, and therefore give the best results.

Maybe I should give Taiyo Yuden a try. They are the ones who actually invented CD-Rs.

13. Freis968 macrumors 6502a

Freis968

I think you are the only person in the universe who wants to burn at 1x speed. If I could burn a CD in 1 second that would still be to slow for me...:p

But seriously, I have never heard of any 1x writers, perhaps you can find one from 1990 that does.

UPDATE
    Oh, I get it now, you are pulling a Joaquin Phoenix on us, pretending you are serious...:) Dang, why am I so gullible?