Is 2.0 Ghz cpu good/fast enough?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vmflapem, Dec 13, 2016.

1. vmflapem macrumors 6502

My old 2013 MacBook Pro Retina had an i5-4288u cpu (2.6 Ghz) and I'm just bothered by the fact that my new nTB only has 2.0 Ghz CPU (i5-6360). Does this mean that the new nTB will be slower than my old macbook pro? I had absolutely no problem with my old macbook's CPU so I'm hoping that the new one performs at a similar level.

The number 2.0 just looks so low so I don't know if it's good or bad :( Sorry for such a noob question.

2. rTHIS macrumors newbie

rTHIS

2.0 is just the base frequency. If you check the current speed with intel Power Gadget (or any other tool) you can see that on medium/heavy load it will be arround the 2.5 and 3.1 GHz.

3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Well it benchmarks faster than any previous 13 inch MacBook Pro so yes it is faster.

4. keviig macrumors 6502

It will settle at 2.9 GHz under full load :) No need to worry. Besides, you can't compare GHz between generations directly, the new ones do more per clock.

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

Faster or slower at doing what, exactly?

In day to day usage the processor speed matters so little that in a blind test you'd likely be unable to tell which is which, even with a gun pressed to your temple.

The days where you can compare CPU directly with clock speed are long gone, like 10 years + gone. Today's 2.0 is likely faster than your older 2.6.