is 2.0 upgrade transferrable?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by turtlebud, Aug 11, 2008.

1. turtlebud macrumors 6502a

I just got a 16gig ipod touch and will purchase the 2.0 software upgrade. However, there's a chance that I may decide that I want the 32gig model if I find there isnt' enough space for my day to day use. If I return the 16gig and get a 32gig, is it possible to transfer the software upgrade (or get a refund) or do I need to repurchase it for the new one?

2. iOrlando macrumors 68000

i would liek to know the answer to this myself. I would think no..i mean everyone would be doing it..one person would buy it and then put it on everyone elses touch. but you never know.

3. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

FYI but the 32gig will likely have 2.0.

4. scifiman macrumors member

To clear things up, yes the 2.0 firmware upgrade is transferable. It is tied to your AppleID. So you can purchase it, download, and flash all your iPods with the single purchase. Heck you could even do your friends iPods by erasing them, syncing them to your computer, doing the upgrade and then let them resync to their computer. Once it has the 2.0 upgrade installed, it will not uninstall it even from a different computer/AppleID.

5. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

the purchase is linked to your account but the firmware isn't, all you did really was pay apple for the download link, once the firmware is on your pc/mac you can use it on any iPod, its just a firmware file, many people obtained the firmware for free via iTunes and restore and jailbreak at their lesiure.

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

That is in fact happening, because 2.0 can be downloaded via torrents. Now that I think about it, Apple must not have been very serious about collecting the $10 upgrade fee for 2.0, there's hardly any mechanism in place to prevent it being copied and transferred to multiple ipods.

7. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

Assuming it works the same way that the 1.1.3 update did, then yes, you can. I had an iPod that was purchased sometime in December, and I purchased the 1.1.3 update when it was released for the iPod touch. Then in February I got that iPod replaced after the screen got a chip in it, when I synced the new one to my computer it asked me if I wanted to restore it from a backup of a previous iPod, I did, selected the name of the previous iPod and it synced and was exactly the same as before.

8. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

Shhhhh don't tell anyone about the non-DRM.

9. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

the reason the firmware is freely distributed over the net is because like all the other firmwares they have been able to download them via iTunes for free...... yes free.

apple have made a boo boo by allowing the download to download without purchasing in the first place, all you have to do is install iTunes from scratch and it offers the firmware to you free of charge