Is 2.0Ghz enought on my new Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by luiso455, Dec 26, 2008.

1. luiso455 macrumors newbie

A Couple of days ago I ordered this: Aluminum Macbook

2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
    160GB Serial ATA @ 5400 rpm
    SD 8x (DVD+R DL/DVD+RW/CD-RW)
    iWork '08
    Keyboard/Users Guide
    Country Kit

I didn't get the 2.4 because to me its not worth an extra 300 dollars for a backlit keyboard and 400 Megahertz of power. So my question was that is this going to be enought for what I do on my computer. I usually have 2 or 3 browsers on with 6 or 7 tabs in each, itunes, and X-Chat. I also use Photoshop CS3 but nothing major, just usually a 1200x800 desktop background or creating some logos....maybe 3inx3in. So I was wondering if this would be powerful enought since this is my 1st mac and I really don't know much about how fast and efficient they are. Would that setup also work for screencapturing and using the iSight at the same time Example of what I mean is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCZiBmMPNTg

PS-Its coming to me on Dec. 30. God I want this time to fly!

EDIT-I realized that there is no xchat for the Mac meaning I will use Colloquy...................

2. Jisuo macrumors 6502

3. Jake381 macrumors member

It should do the trick. I went for the 2.4 because I needed that little bit more power, and paying the extra and getting the backlit keyboard was well worth it (especially since my new residence is quite dimly lit).

They are components that cannot be upgraded, but it you think it is not worth it, then you made the right choice.

4. dr.devious macrumors regular

dr.devious

I regularly run the apps from CS4 without any issues. My filters may take a couple tenths of second or asecond longer than with the 2.4, but it is all good. :D

5. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

6. Bupkus macrumors newbie

I still have a first gen Intel iMac with the 1.87mhz Core Duo and I run CS4...multiple windows, browsers etc. I also play WOW on it. It will be three years old in February. Still haven't been able to justify a replacement yet.

Today I just bought a MacBook 2.0ghz, knowing full well the 300 bucks really only gets you a lighted keyboard and a larger HD....you will never notice the speed difference. The real price difference between the 2.0 and 2.4 should really only be $100 - $150...

7. skiffx macrumors 6502a

There is xchat for mac :)

8. iboost79 macrumors member

I just ordered the same configuration. But I have a 320GB 7200rpm drive awaiting to be installed. That should give the MacBook some boost.