Is 2.53 vs 2.4GHz really important?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mktb, Nov 9, 2008.

1. mktb macrumors newbie

Is it really THAT much faster?

I sometimes overload my MBP 2.4 after a few days of uptime.

2. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

its definitely not as fast as it took to get that extra money out of the wallet.

I wouldn't bother with it. if your doing 2.53, might as well do a real upgrade and go 2.8.

3. MatLane macrumors 6502a

MatLane

Dont think there really is any difference

Both are screamers.

Run about the same speed

4. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

no, it's not that much faster at all. You do get a few extra things, like 2 GB more RAM, 70 GB of HD space, and 256 VRAM. But the RAM and HD can be upgraded cheaply and easily yourself, and the VRAM isn't going to matter unless you're driving multiple large monitors. You do also get twice the L2 cache on the higher end model, but the bottom line is that you're paying 25% more money for *maybe* 10% more speed, and probably a lot less than that.

5. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

Buy AAPL

Buy Apple (AAPL) stock with the money you save and I guarantee you'll be happier by the time you're ready to buy a new computer.:)

6. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

7. MacPil0T macrumors member

But is it worth a $300 upgrade? I paid $2300 for my MacBook pro, no taxes, no shipping. If you add in cost of ram, hd, and put a value on the VRAM it seems worth the extra $300.

8. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

I think it is well worth the extra money, the extra cache on the video card and the CPU along with the speed bump will give you faster performance. You have to remember you CANNOT change the CPU or the Video card later, at least not without replacing the entire board at half the cost or more of a new MB Pro. Also you get 4GB ram and a bigger hard drive.