Is $200 extra for the i7 versus the i5 iMac worth it?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by -FlyAuburn-, Jun 2, 2010.

1. -FlyAuburn- macrumors regular

Hi all. First post on Mac Rumors! Woot! Anyway, I am waiting until WWDC and if there is no mention of iMac updates then I am going to finally pull the trigger on a 27" iMac.

I have already decided that I want to upgrade to a 2 TB HD and 8 gigs of RAM, but I can't decide if it would really be worth it to also upgrade to an i7 from an i5.

It's already going to be 2450 and I am wondering if there is a significant enough performance increase for the extra 200 bucks (now we are talking 2650 :eek:) that Apple is charging to upgrade to the i7.

Does anyone have any personal experience with this or a link to some benchmarks/comparisons of the two?

Thanks!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

As usual, zero helpful information. What do you use your machine for? Odds are, since you're asking, that the i7 upgrade won't matter. The 8 GB of RAM probably won't matter either, unless you'd like to be a bit more specific.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

i7 has Hyper-Threading which will make difference in some apps. As miles said, it's impossible to help if you provide zero information about your usage

4. zmttoxics macrumors 65816

zmttoxics

If you are 90% there, might as well go all out!! :p

Core i7 + 8GB makes for a fancy VMWare setup. But what are you planning to use the machine for? Safari?

5. bigbren47 macrumors newbie

I had the same dilemma. Opinions generally stated you will see very little difference so my hunch would be-save the money for something else!

ps I went for the i5 Mac:)

6. nj-mac-user macrumors 6502

nj-mac-user

If I understand what you're asking, it sounds like you just want to know if there will be a noticible performance difference between the two. Well, to be honest, it would depend on what you're going to use it for. For HD video editing for instance, there should be a noticable difference. For web browsing and office applications, not so much.

http://www.geek.com/articles/news/g...mac-is-the-fastest-best-valued-imac-20091116/

7. Irishman macrumors 68030

"As usual?" For a first-time poster? Wow, you're rude without reason.

FlyAuburn, ignore this person. Some one peed in his/her cornflakes this morning and he/she is taking it out on you.

I've gone through the same shopping/questioning experience myself, and I can say that - long term - or if you're gaming much, the answer is yes. If you're running RAM-intensive apps at the same time, then yes it will make a difference.

8. Ravich macrumors 6502a

Will it make a different for Logic?

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

According to this, Logic supports HT but it's no use for it, so shouldn't make difference, at least not big

10. Irishman macrumors 68030

I did a quick Google search and noone seems to say anything about Logic making a difference with hyperthreading.

So the answer from me is - I dunno.

11. IndustrialSpace macrumors 6502a

Go through the Apple education store and purchase the i7. This way, you'll be able to get the i7 for a slightly lower price, offsetting the $200 difference.

Technically, you should be enrolled in a school, but perhaps you can get away with it. YMMV.

EDIT:

Are you the FlyAuburn from flightinfo.com?

12. -FlyAuburn- thread starter macrumors regular

I will be using it for HD video editing, music creation and editing, photo editing, some gaming and flight sim stuff (on a windows partition), and then the usual stuff like MS office (i have the Mac 2008 version),surfing the internet, and plans for world domination.

I was actually interested in whether or not there was a significant and/or noticeable performance difference on both ends of the spectrum, which is why I didn't include how I was going to use the computer.

Thank you. Exactly what I was looking for!

Thanks Irishman. Tough crowd!

Yes. The same. Who are you on FI?

13. im that guy macrumors newbie

It's probably not worth it in terms of bang for the buck but the thing is that the CPU isn't replaceable later. RAM and hard drive are both things you can upgrade yourself.

14. Omnigray macrumors newbie

Omnigray

SSD is the only upgrade that would show significant speed increase for professionals and everyday users alike but unfortunately the chances of the next imac coming with SSD are low.

15. hardhatmac macrumors regular

hardhatmac

Can you upgrade the hard drive yourself? This must be new with the new iMac's because I know on the old Al iMacs you could only upgrade the RAM...not the HDD.

16. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

You can but you have to pull off the glass and disassemble part of the machine to do it, just like the previous models.

17. hardhatmac macrumors regular

hardhatmac

That's what I thought...count me out for that.

18. IndustrialSpace macrumors 6502a

Another anonymous poster with 2K in posts! :eek:

havent been on there in a while, though. Got tired of the AS, TMMT, BS, CD, et al. chatter...

Anyway, sounds like the i7 would be most suitable, especially for the next few years.

The Apple store doesn't require any verification (honor system) for the student discount. To access it , you need to enter the Ed Store which displays the discounted pricing for the array of products.

19. lasuther macrumors 6502a

www.barefeets.com for benchmarks

Don't buy 8Gigs of RAM, get the processor instead. You can always add RAM at a later time.

20. OGDaniel macrumors 6502a

OGDaniel

Instead of an iMac, get a Mac Mini and 4 iPads.

21. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

For the same effort you can upgrade the CPU as well... Both may void your warranty though

22. JoeMac22 macrumors newbie

Get the I7

It's worth the $200 then down the line you won't have to wonder what you're missing. Add aftermarket RAM later. My I7 works great in my 27". I plan to add 4G's more of RAM soon. Do I need more RAM at the moment. Maybe not. But for @ $100 I'm happy to double the speed.

23. Ravich macrumors 6502a

Swapping the HDD voids the warranty? Does this mean you need to put in the original HDD before you send it in like with the MBP, or that there is no point whatsoever in getting apple care if you plan on putting an SSD in your iMac?

24. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Upgrading HD in iMac is not easy task to do. It involves steps that will likely leave marks but the general opinion still is that unless you break something, you are covered. Depends on rep, that's why I can't promise that you'll be fine, or doomed ;)

25. DarkStarr macrumors newbie

Get the i7 if you can afford.

I was told to always buy the fastest you can afford as it lasts longer. I don't think there will be any major iMac updates at wwdc but it's worth waiting a few days just to see.