Is 2010 MBA 11" or 13" Ultimate really a secondary computer?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by double329, Nov 20, 2010.

1. double329 macrumors 6502

As title said: I have a really beefy 2 years 17" Windows 7. It's my primary system. I've been looking at MBP 15" or 17" for a while and I decided to go with MBA after many positive review. I have got my MBA 13" Ultimate for little over two week now. Within that time, I have been using MBA pretty much for everything. Is MBA really a secondary system? I have been asking myself this question lately. Since I got MBA, I turned on my primary system once!!! that was just so my wife can see that I am still using it and needing it. But, really... that's all I did, turned it on and walked away. Is this phenomenon because of MBA is a new toy? is this a short term thing? or am I really happy/satisfied with MBA and no longer need my primary??? Do you MBA owner feel this way? :confused:

2. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol

It depends on what you use it for. A lot of heavy graphics/encoding applications will be much slower. Web surfing and Office will be just fine. Etc.

3. KPOM macrumors G5

I've used MacBook Airs as my sole Macs since February 2008. Granted, I use primarily Safari, iTunes, and Entourage/Outlook, but it's fine for Office 2011, Picasa, and occasional photo editing. The new version runs Windows great in virtualization, too. For many people, it could easily be a primary computer.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If MBA satisfies your computing needs, then it's not a secondary computer. It's more than fine for most people since their usage doesn't require much computing power. You would have used your PC already if you had needed some serious CPU power.

5. qawes macrumors regular

qawes

6. double329 thread starter macrumors 6502

I do good amount of photo post processing. But, this is just for hobby. It's not my primary job. If it is, I am in trouble. I tried this with MBA, it seems to be fine for this task. Occasionally, I do family video (I haven't try this with MBA). In most case, office stuff, RDP to my desk system, VNC to server, and web surfing.

7. loslosbaby macrumors member

To me, video editing is just a hobby. I know some real video editors, and yeah, they have mac pros.

For the rest of us, the MBA seems pretty darned dope.

I do XCode, Eclipse (huge!), run VMWare (for XP, 1.5Gb one core) and iWork, as well as just keep a lot of apps open and the MBA 13 (ultimate) is the best computer I've ever owned. The MBP17 (2.5/4/320) it replaced is being sold today, without any regrets.

G.

8. gwsat macrumors 68000

gwsat

I have a 13 inch Ultimate MBA, too. I routinely run Windows 7 in VMware Fusion's Unity mode, along with a number of OS X apps, all of which are open on the OS X desktop. I have been using the MBA with this configuration all day every day since last month and could not be happier. The MBA has replaced my 3 year old MBP for everything except copying CDs to iTunes, which I do on the MBP while I am doing something else on the MBA. In fact that's what I am doing right not. As I am preparing this post, the MBP is copying a CD into iTunes.