Is 256 enough???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dorsey, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Dorsey macrumors newbie

Just to follow on from my other thread of earlier today http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1658354

I've ordered a new MacBook Pro this morning through the Apple store.

The guy on the phone suggested I upgraded the memory from 8 to 16GB but to leave the storage at 256 instead of going up to 512.

It will have personal use through OS X (browsing, photo storage, light iTunes useage etc) then i'll also be dual booting with Windows 8 so I can run a few work based desktop programmes that don't support OS X as well as Skydrive & Dropbox.

Have I been advised correctly? I can't really afford to up my budget much further than I already have. Would I have been better sticking with 8GB memory but upgrading the storage instead?

Go easy, non-techie here!! :confused:

Thanks

Kev

2. iThink Apple macrumors 6502

iThink Apple

For me I bought 512GB.....I had an Air with 256GB and with all the photos and music I had it was not enough....Hope this helps.

3. hummel003 macrumors newbie

4. hexblot macrumors member

Rule of thumb:

* if this is your only machine, the more storage you get the better.
    * if this is just a laptop to complement your main computer, then 256 is more than enough.

other than that, think of compromises - if you're ok with having stuff on a drive at home (eg a huge 2Tb drive with most of your photos, videos, music) then even if this will be your main computer, 256Gb is fine.

Personally, I still do fine with having an 60Gb SDD on my first rev Air ... everything I need is accessible from my online files ( dropbox etc ) and remotely accessed from my home (tons of networked storage there).