Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

airplaneman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
USA
Hey all,

I've scoured the forums for past comparisons of the baseline 13" rMBP model versus its mid-range counterpart. I had been considering buying a 13" rMBP for some time now, and until this point, the mid-range model had been a no-brainer. I considered the mid-range model my best choice, however, more for the 8GB of memory than anything else. Now that the baseline model also has 8GB, it is all the more enticing.

Is 256GB of storage really that much faster than 128GB that it's worth $200 more? I'm looking to do some photo and video work in Adobe CS, but nothing too drastic. I'm really fine with purchasing an external to house this content. If the smaller 128GB drive is noticeably slower in daily use, as I've read, then $200 extra for a faster 256GB drive is enticing.

tl;dr – Most importantly, is the 256GB drive noticeably faster than the 128GB drive? Storage space is not an issue.

Penny for your thoughts?

Last edited:

Ardmanz

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2013
In real world usage you won't see any difference in speed.

You're not paying for the speed, you're paying for the capacity.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
It won't be faster, but while you said storage isn't an issue, it almost always is. I'd say spend the 200 just for double the space.

manzanabook

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2014
Same issue yesterday.

I did it and spend the 200 therefor.
I think in the end, i am happy to have more space. I am already now, cuz 128Gb is ok but after some months it could be to less for sure, (for me).

Imagine you want to load your pics or vids on the pc but u dont have enough space, and first u need to delete sth, or load data to a SD-Card. That would be annoying.

I paid already this much, that i don't want to regret in the end to save money at the wrong time.

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
Larger SSDs and HDDs are generally a little bit faster than their smaller counterparts, but it isn't going to be noticeable when the read and write speeds are already very high. Think about it this way: if you're reading 50 MB of data, it doesn't matter if you do it at 500 MB/s or 550 MB/s because it will be instantaneous either way.

The only time it might be noticeable is if you are working with huge files that are many gigabytes in size. Even then, you have to consider how often you would do something like that, if ever. Is it worth $200 to save 20 seconds every month or so when you backup your home folder? Not to me. The only reason to spend the extra $200 is if you really need more internal storage space.

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas
Hey all,

I've scoured the forums for past comparisons of the baseline 13" rMBP model versus its mid-range counterpart. I had been considering buying a 13" rMBP for some time now, and until this point, the mid-range model had been a no-brainer. I considered the mid-range model my best choice, however, more for the 8GB of memory than anything else. Now that the baseline model also has 8GB, it is all the more enticing.

Is 256GB of storage really that much faster than 128GB that it's worth $200 more? I'm looking to do some photo and video work in Adobe CS, but nothing too drastic. I'm really fine with purchasing an external to house this content. If the smaller 128GB drive is noticeably slower in daily use, as I've read, then $200 extra for a faster 256GB drive is enticing.

tl;dr – Most importantly, is the 256GB drive noticeably faster than the 128GB drive? Storage space is not an issue.

Penny for your thoughts?

http://store.apple.com/us/product/F...nch-macbook-pro-24ghz-dual-core-intel-core-i5

Two days ago, that machine was 1499. It's now 1189.

Problem solved! That model gives you the 8/256 config for 110 dollars less than the new base model. The only difference is the .02GHZ speed bump which would never be noticed in day to day use.

Unless you just have to have the newest model for whatever reason. That's a much better deal.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
http://store.apple.com/us/product/F...nch-macbook-pro-24ghz-dual-core-intel-core-i5

Two days ago, that machine was 1499. It's now 1189.

Problem solved! That model gives you the 8/256 config for 110 dollars less than the new base model. The only difference is the .02GHZ speed bump which would never be noticed in day to day use.

Unless you just have to have the newest model for whatever reason. That's a much better deal.
listen to capathy! The 2013 rmbps are a steal now!

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
I am thinking the decision would be 256 vs 512. I have been dealing with 256 for a few years and have to move stuff off, especially when ripping movies.

Will probably do the 512.

5to1

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2008
With some free capacity you likely won't notice much of a difference in real world usage. However, as you get close to capacity, large writes may slow down, even with TRIM in operation.

bobcan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
Sunny but Cold.. Canada
And, I suspect as SSDs are non-user-serviceable, when it comes time to try to Sell It, the bigger/fancier one will be MUCH easier to get rid of.. and will bring a fair bit of your $$ back too I am confident ~ Seems things always work that way in life and 'toys' too!!

psik

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
And, I suspect as SSDs are non-user-serviceable, when it comes time to try to Sell It, the bigger/fancier one will be MUCH easier to get rid of.. and will bring a fair bit of your $$ back too I am confident ~ Seems things always work that way in life and 'toys' too!!
What do u mean? They can be changed soon after third party companies start selling them and with the special screws that are not too hard to get of course...

bobcan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
Sunny but Cold.. Canada
What do u mean? They can be changed soon after third party companies start selling them and with the special screws that are not too hard to get of course...

Tis true, somewhat ~ ~ I suppose then I must clarify my thought process above accordingly: Truthfully, ANYTHING can be replaced, once Warranty has 'run its course' or unless you Do Not Care, should you be technically able.. If the current PCIe-SSD is on a daughterboard (as earlier models) and 'fairly user friendly' to get to, then most folks who understand could then Give 'er Indeed >> I shall certainly never Judge One for having the Urge to Save a Buck, and Do It Themselves!! :cool:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...etina-display-how-to-upgrade-ssd-storage.html

psik

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
Tis true, somewhat ~ ~ I suppose then I must clarify my thought process above accordingly: Truthfully, ANYTHING can be replaced, once Warranty has 'run its course' or unless you Do Not Care, should you be technically able.. If the current PCIe-SSD is on a daughterboard (as earlier models) and 'fairly user friendly' to get to, then most folks who understand could then Give 'er Indeed >> I shall certainly never Judge One for having the Urge to Save a Buck, and Do It Themselves!! :cool:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...etina-display-how-to-upgrade-ssd-storage.html
Thanks ;) and oh come on its not that bad if after a couple if years, it's very hard to break the laptop if all you want is to change the hard disk ;)

hugemacfan

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2014
I would say yes. I originally got the base MBP 13 inch but returned it for the 256 gig model. I don't really need the storage space now because my desktop has plenty of storage space and I have an external hard drive but I don't know what I might be doing with the computer in the future so I figured it was better to be safe than sorry. I don't like having to compromise on disk space and ram. My old MacBook only had an 80 gig hard drive so it kind of feels good that I have a newer MacBook that has much more storage space, but is also solid state, which in turn makes the computer thinner and faster.

bobcan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
Sunny but Cold.. Canada
Thanks ;) and oh come on its not that bad if after a couple if years, it's very hard to break the laptop if all you want is to change the hard disk ;)

Absolutely Agreed.. I have done my own RAM and HD/SSD upgrades to every MBP I have had since 2006, if you are careful and use proper tools (and make use of many of the forums/clips such as iFixit has) there is almost no way to go wrong.. Almost.. :cool:

psik

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
Absolutely Agreed.. I have done my own RAM and HD/SSD upgrades to every MBP I have had since 2006, if you are careful and use proper tools (and make use of many of the forums/clips such as iFixit has) there is almost no way to go wrong.. Almost.. :cool:
Yes totally agree. I have even replaced other parts of my macbook. But specially the hard disk is a tad easier or easier than other repairs at least.. Still do it on a day when you have patience cause there is no going back if something breaks. And, anyways so far we have to wait for these ssds forvlate 2013 and mid 2014 anyways they are still unavailable

NewishMacGuy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2007
Not worth $200 in speed nor capacity, but 128GB is laughable storage space and Apple's got you over a barrel, without lube...

Not speccing ALL the retinas with 16GB and at least 256GB SSDs was a straight-up Gordon Gekko move out of Apple.

>

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.